Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow YSTC member unseen did my gauge cluster and center console for me today! I did the gauge dials in super white and the center console in red with a blue swap on the temperature dial and super white for the status indicators on A/C etc.

Per my usual methods, just click on any image below to bring up a full-resolution view.

Only the dials were changed to white; the rest of the warning indicators etc. were left stock.

The second leftside amber LED on temperature dial was swapped for a blue LED, so now the temp gauge's blue portion is longer.

The super white LEDs for status indicator are brighter than they look in the photo; I can clearly see them in day time when the lights are turned off and they get even brighter!

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the stock LEDs with same-type LEDs of white or red. It involves dismantling the gauge pod and center console, desoldering the stock LEDs and soldering on new LEDs then piecing it all back together.

-Ed

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
That looks awesome.. That's what I wanna do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Very nice. Been thinking about doing that, i don't like the stock yellow in the cluster....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Very nice. Looks great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, what a beautifull job you have done that looks awsome. keep up the nice work and the pics rolling if you keep modifying your ride..that kind of dedication shows what a true car person some one can be
..again i have to say very nice work..

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by XtraClear@Aug 29 2005, 09:36 AM
Wow, what a beautifull job you have done that looks awsome. keep up the nice work and the pics rolling if you keep modifying your ride..that kind of dedication shows what a true car person some one can be
..again i have to say very nice work..

Thanks but I give the majority of the credit on this to unseen who did most of the work for me; I just don't have that much confidence in my own soldering skills.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amber for the backlighting on the dials, which also light the needles. The needles are painted on the far edge with orange, then white, so if you want to change the color of the needles, it takes scraping and repainting. I figured orange on white is fine and not worth the effort to change. The rest of the LEDs were not changed (i.e. green turn signal blinkers, blue high beam indicator, red seatbelt warning etc.).

-Ed

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by EddNog@Aug 29 2005, 06:13 PM
Amber for the backlighting on the dials, which also light the needles. The needles are painted on the far edge with orange, then white, so if you want to change the color of the needles, it takes scraping and repainting. I figured orange on white is fine and not worth the effort to change. The rest of the LEDs were not changed (i.e. green turn signal blinkers, blue high beam indicator, red seatbelt warning etc.).

-Ed
No scraping. Isopropyl alcohol and a little patience will wipe that paint right off. Be sure to put the white back on top of whatever color you choose, it will really make it stand out clearly. My needles are red to match my red LEDs.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by serith@Aug 29 2005, 08:31 PM
<--- Sick Jelous

That's nuts.  I should do that

Post a walkthrough if you can?
I'm quite sure someone else who did this mod a while back already posted a walk-through on how to do it. If I recall correctly, the only truly difficult part is removing the center console PCB from the dash module without breaking the LCD, and since unseen took care of the part of the install, I think it best if he explained that, not me.

Thanks, Lance--I didn't know it was that simple to remove the regular paint from the needles. What would you recommend for repainting with, something like Testor's model paint?

-Ed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.