Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi boys and girls!

i just like to share my first oil change with you guys , you may learn something from it .
Well I decided today to change my oil on my tc after 670 miles , i know most of you probably say "it is a waste of money and time " but keep listen ,
I was going to change it at 500 miles and i say now I wish I have down it earlier!!!

What I find was surprising but I was expecting it , i did not wanted to believe it until i saw it ,when i drain my oil and i was looking at it it was all shine and i saw alot of small i mean very small metal parts , I did not expected to be this bad,but it was .....

And i could have it down before , could have avoid that dirty oil to recircul in the oil system , that is not good for the engine at all ...!!!

So those of you who do it your self and getting close to the 500 just something to reconsider.

By the way I am a car mechanic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No big surprise. Unless you buy a German car that comes with synthetic oil, your first oil change should be done in less than 1K. At least Toyota made it easy for us with the first three free.

OTOH, what you saw can't be that bad in the long haul. Just extrapolating from experience, these cars get well over 100,000 miles of service, so while it ain't great, it can't be all that bad.

Just change the oil early on the first change!

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
from what I understand that is a normal thing for most new cars. That is why in the owners manual it tell you to drive the car nicely and dont race the thing. Sorry, I know you want to but, ... well that really is up to you. I suppose this really settles the how to break in your car debate.
just sayin'

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Agree with you guys -- thanks for confirming my suspicions!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
so, how soon am i supposed to get oil changed with TC? i thought owners manual said to do it first at 5000 miles? i have 1,300 now and haven't done it. was i supposed to do it at 500?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I can say with a 100% of certainty that if you looked at your oil......and saw metal chunks, youre car is doomed to blow up any second. The tC motor is clay-molded and prewashed before assembly. Trust me, there is no metal shavings floating around.....but at least you feel more comfortable doing the oil change at 500 miles and seriously thats all that counts. Just remember the distance between the piston wall and the cylinder is less than a human hair, so if you saw metal chunks that means they couldnt fit through that opening and scraped up and down your cylinder walls about 700,000 times an hour. - T

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Metal flakes isnt 100% bad... just depends on how many there are. You can try putting a small magnet in the oil pan if there isn't one already there and next time you change your oil... drop the pan and pull the magnet. If there are any flakes, they'll be stuck to it. And if there are alot, I'd go to the dealer and have them check the compression of your cylinders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts