Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda of a freaky thing happend to me a day ago. I was at work, and happend to be out in the front of the building chatting with a customer when I glanced out into the parking lot and noticed something strange.

I park waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out, there is never a single car within 40 parking spaces of me, no matter what day or what time of day so I found it a little odd that there was a car parked next to mine. Upon further glanced I noticed the trunk of the car was popped open, suspicious?...hell yes!

A man (after digging in his trunk) emerged with a couple small tools, I was waaaaaay to far away to tell what they were but I could see the silver reflection in the sun. He went up to my car, bent over to look at the lock i presume and stood up again. He then went back to his trunk and then walked back to my car. For some reason, I think he noticed me standing in the doorway, he walked back to his car, shut the trunk and booted out of there without hesitation.

Unfortunatley I can not just leave my work to check on my car everytime I see someone near it, so..... I have a feeling that It will get stolen soon and that guy was just eyeing it up making sure he had the right tools. Its a sad feeling to know that there are people out there that want to take what you worked for, especially in a small town where I live so peacefully.

I do want to be pro-active about this, and admittedly (dont say I never said it) I dont know that much about motion-sensing alarms and keychain displays etc. Im going to do my own side-research on whats availible but please, if someone can post up some links/pics/info on whats availible for an alarm with a keychain alert unit (forgive my lack of proper terminology) post it up and maybe you can help me in my effort to win the battle against these crooks! - t

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot to mention, i know try and jockey for prime end-spot position close to the store. - t

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Damn that sucks man. I hope everything works out ok.

I can kinda relate. I live in a less-than-desireable part of town, and I'm worried about sh!t happening to my car.

There's only so much you can do though...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn T thats sux can you park at a decent distance and just hit the panic button a couple times a day:) maybe that will steer them to an easier target. I dunno that much about alarms my wife uses our tC as a daily driver but her work is gated so is our complex and it sleeps in the garage every night. Man I can't imagine that feeling i feel you man. Everybody that sees my new rims tells me that I am just making a target, but i refuse to live in fear and be boring!!!! fight the crooks man just dont forget to make that insurance payment. :

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
That sucks... I hope everything works out. I would also park closer to your work or to other people... although that may mean door dings.... at least until you get your alarm installed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
oh man . . . that is my biggest fear. ever since (i think) someone tried to steal my old car-95 toyota tercel. they smashed my back drivers side window, but they didn't take the car or anything in it. i don't know if they were being a$$es or if something scared them away. and of course the nite it happened it was raining so my car was completely soaked and covered in glass. anyway to get back on topic. . .

I'm always afraid to leave my car alone sometimes i even take my mom's car places b/c i'm that paranoid about the tc. I would be totally freaked if i saw someone next to my car like that

i asked about alarms a few weeks ago and am still looking into them but here's the link to the thread. then go to alpmans post--he gives another link to the alarm system he put in where you can still use the scion key

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=669

and if that doesn't work, the thread is on page 4 under aftermarket alarm system

good luck with you car... maybe you could use someone elses(mom/dad) to take to work until you get an alarm

·
Registered
45 Posts
also wanted to say if you had more questions about the alarm try to ask alpman, he was very helpful and nice to me

·
Registered
675 Posts
hmmm.. park closer to your job.. and where you can see your car.. for starters..

i'm sitting here thinking of crazy stuff.. like calling the cops (yeah right, like they'd get there from eating their donuts).. or reporting the car, license to the cops.. then i thought of a video camera pointed at the car.. video taping this idiot..

but then i came up with even a more crazy idea.. like if someone wants a fight with ya, all you gotta do is get in their mind, or even the possibility that you are nuts.. they'd think twice about throwing a punch if they don't know what they're in for..

then it has finally hit me.. put a sticking on your wheels.. with something crazy like "I'm watching you, don't turn around" okay i know people are going to laugh at me.. but it would sure mess with his head.. okay go ahead.. laugh..

how about something else.. how about wheel locks.. you have ONE on there now (per wheel).. how about you have two on there.. but you alternate them. Like let's say we call the one you have now wheel lock 1.. but you have three others (you bought three more wheel lock sets, all different keys) and you alternate which locks would go on, but have two on there at one time..

he'd never know which pattern you'd have on there, and possibly eventually he'd give up since he'd never be able to get your car.. I bet when he gets frustrated he'll just break a window or something.. most cheap criminals do this.. since they can't have it..

but the thing is.. if you had two different wheel locks and he kept scoping out your ride, he'd never be able to figure out which wheel locks are on there..

okay I have more crazy thoughts.. if no one ever parks around you.. how about you put down tire spikes? like nails or something that gives him flat tires.. so he pulls up to take your tires.. BAM BAM BAM flat tires.. then you can call the cops and they can at least get the car..

then act dumb when the cops show up.. i don't know what nails were doing around the car, they weren't there when i pulled in.. weird..

fry this ass**** i really like the nails around your car and the wheel lock alternating ideas.. the sticky note? hmmm not sure yet about that..

anyway there's my thoughts.. i'll think up some more that will screw with this moron..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha , mich its funny you said that thing about writing something on a note and sticking it to the car. That was one of the first things that came to mind when it happend! I think im going to write something funny, to mess with him haha. Something like "yea id rather have this than your peice of crap too!" . I know its egging him on but it might just do the trick somehow!???!?!

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah it could.. but besides the note.. if he knows you're onto him he may just take off.. i really like the idea of alternating the wheel locks since he's trying to scope the ride.. that and the note.. he'll go on to something else.

im not thinking of putting his car down.. but something that messed with his mind.. like "I am watching you.. shh.. don't turn around".. kinda like a hitchcock film!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
so he wants the whole car but he was looking at your wheels trying to take 'em.. i got something that will ruin his day.. you know like in NY or Chicago.. that have those parking blocks (big yellow) they put on the front wheels for violation of parking tickets? how about you get one and slap it on your car.. car ain't going anywhere.. sort of a club for the wheels..

·
Registered
290 Posts
NO WAY I GOT IT!!!! everyday when you go to work take one of the wheels off and bring it into work with you!!! that will teach him!!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 29 2004, 09:02 PM
i think he wants the whole car......maybe ill put a whoopie cushon on the seat....haha
Thats funny! That would scare me away. Also, you may want to make sure that your "blinking" light for the key code thinger is in clear view (nothing blocking it) and try to always park under lights if you're there at night. is there really no where else you can park?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
crap, I'm sorry to hear that... I didn't see this thread until I got home just now! You definitely need a good alarm w/ backup battery & backup siren, both hidden deep, hood & trunk pins, and the 2 way remote... all of that I think I can get for around $500, but I'm doing it in steps.
While at work, I try and park in the spot right under my supervisers window. Not only does it not have trees over it (w/ sap), but she sticks her nose in everyones' business anyway, so hopefully she'd notice someone doing something to my car
And, it's the closest spot to my cube, so hopefully I'd hear the alarm (until I get the 2way).
I'm actually considering the $30/mo to park in the garage at work, but the only problem is that if the power goes out, I can't leave

The note is a great idea too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I work on the 13th floor, so i park where i can keep an eye on it. If i saw someone trying to take it, there really isn't much i could do unless i superman it down the side of the building which wouldn't have a very good outcome.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I would recommend a Viper system (or perhaps some other brand made by DEI) -- I have been happy with them, and so has everyone else I know who has gotten one. I know several people (myself included) who had their cars broken into, then got a DEI-made alarm, and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts