Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the tC in a driving rain today. Glad to say that the panoramic sunroof is tight as a drum.

During a pit stop, I looked the roof over and marveled at how Toyota made such an effective, yet simple design of things. When it rains or you wash your car, the water is carried away in the channels.

Yet, the roof is relatively complex. As I looked it over, I started to wonder what would happen in icy rain or one of those, snows, then melts, then refreezes events. The water most likely will not have a chance to be carried away and freeze in the tracks. As it freezes, water expands.

It left me wondering if the roof would lift off and let water in? Would it get stressed and maybe cracked? I wonder if Toyota tried this out??

·
Registered
936 Posts
For the water to actually expand, and put enough pressure on something to crack it would be verrrrry difficult. The drainage channles would have to be completely blocked, which is impossible.....and then the water would have to be frozen and even then its water vs. metal and I doubt it could do anything. Remember there are tons of ways for this water to escape, i dont see it being able to pool itself up in enough force to actually freeze, and have enough counter-pressure to expand outwards and break anything. Just my .02 cents, but great question though!- T

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... interesting topic... I don't think the glass will crack but I wonder if the rubber between the glass pieces would get damaged from the ice? Just a thought ...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought. As the water freezes, so the exit paths disappear. Eventually, the water has no where to go/drain. Having lived in the NE and Atlanta where we get ice, I have seen unique icing issues.

This winter should bring some interesting posts of Toyo did not do its homework!

Dan

·
Registered
197 Posts
on the note of glass and water...this is completely OT, btw.

whenever it does start freezing, scrap the ice off the glass...I have a friend (well, associate) that swears it's no problem to get a boiling hot pan of water and just thorw it on the windshield in the winter. Don't do that, people... On the windshield or the roof. Remember, glass DOESN'T take kindly to sudden and extreme temperature shifts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Think of the path of least resistance. If there's open air above the channels, the water will "freeze upwards" and grow taller or in a little mound instead of expanding out and fighting against the sides of the channels.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by spydirweb@Aug 12 2004, 07:53 PM
on the note of glass and water...this is completely OT, btw.

whenever it does start freezing, scrap the ice off the glass...I have a friend (well, associate) that swears it's no problem to get a boiling hot pan of water and just thorw it on the windshield in the winter. Don't do that, people... On the windshield or the roof. Remember, glass DOESN'T take kindly to sudden and extreme temperature shifts.
Umm, yes, your associate is an idiot. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts