Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I feel lucky today and I'm gonna try to install my mudguards.
Wish me luck that I don't drill the hole into the tires...
I'll try to take some pictures for you guys of the steps and my experience (better yet lack of) of putting them on.

My mom is glad I'm doing this to my car cause she wants me to do it to hers too if mine comes out ok...

·
Registered
409 Posts
ooo bravery! i dont know if i could ever come up with the strength to drill into my car, id let my brother or soemthing do it, but probably not me, best of luck

·
Registered
619 Posts
guess im a little late on the good lucks so....at this point hope you had good luck. In order to master a skill you have to start somewhere. Im sure it turned out fine.

·
Registered
936 Posts
awesome, pics would be appreciated
Im going to wait until i can paint my mudguards silver and clearcote them so they match the car. - T

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've succeeded... in reaching my 500 posts... LOL!!!
I'm offically OBSESSED!!!

No... back to the topic on hand... I've just finished my mudguard installs... It took me about a hour (for you maybe 15 minutes). I followed the directions that are provided but decided to make some changes half way through the install... I'll let you guys know what they are once I've uploading the pics and stuff...

Thanks for your luck... I didn't have to replace my panels or tires because of it...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well done.....and the idea T had about paint matching sounds cool too..

·
Registered
583 Posts
are mudguards _REALLY_ necessary? anyways, good luck, hope they turn out cool!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The instructions that comes with the mudguards says the following...

Front Set of Mudguards
1.) Clean mounting areas
2.) Identify the 3 mount holes
3.) Remove screws B & C... do not discard
4.) Mount mudguard on body panel and install supplied screws in location A and existing screw in location B, while holding the part tight against body.
5.) Install existing screw in location C while hodling part tight against the body
6.) Repeat procedure for other side.

Before you start... I'd recommend removing all jewlery on your hands. I don't know how many times my engagement ring has scratched my baby...

The Stuff:

Picture of A & B mount holes:
As you can see, I've turned the wheel to give myself the maximum amount of work area.

Picture of screw removed from mount hole C:

Pictures of install of underside screw in C mount hole:

Picture of front mudguard installed:

The front mudguards are very easy to install. The hardest part of the front install is to find a short enough phillips screw driver that will fit under the car. Although the instructions don't tell you to jack up the car or to remove the tires, it maybe easier in the end to do so. Its really up to you. I recommend putting on your mudguards before you install the TRD springs if you can.

To be continueds in next post....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back Set of Mudguards
1.) Clean mounting areas
2.) Identify the mount hole C (underneath the car)
3.) Remove existing push pin and discard
4.) Mount mudguard on body panel and install supplied push pin in location
5.) Using the part as a template, drill 6 mm holes in locations A and B (the predrilled holes on mudguard) while holding part tight agains body
6.) Install supplied spring clips (I called them the brackets) with turned up edge on inside of body panel at locations A & B
7.) While holding part at locations A and C tightly against body, install supplied screws in locations A & B
8.) Repeat procedure for the other side.

Picture of back area before install:

Picture of the push pin removal:
I recommend using a towel between the panel and your tool/screw driver during the removal of the push pin to protect the panel from being scratched.

Picture of the new push pin being installed:
This just screws on.

Picture of the holes being drilled in postion A:
Per the instructions, the hole in position B is drilled the same way.

Picture of the two drilled holes:
This is where I decided to not follow the instructions. Because the rear tire cannot be turned, it is hard to get the drill in the right position to drill the hole... especially for position B. I actually ended up taking the push pin back out and removed the mudguards completely. I did use the mudguards as a guide to mark on the panel where I should drill. I used the philips screw driver to mark the panel where the holes are on the mud guard. Once I did that, I drilled the holes without the mudguard in place. Its much easier to see and position the damn thing... lol. This is just my experience though. I ended up doing the first mudguard as instructed but my hole in position B was kinda crooked and it took me extra time to screw it on.

Picture of the bracket / spring clips:
Once the brackets are in place over the holes, you can put the mudguard back on if you removed it... or if it was not installed at all. Otherwise, you can always bend the mudguards a little to install the brackets as per the installation instructions.

Picture of the screws being screwed into position B:

Picture of back mudguard installed:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 15 2004, 01:17 PM
awesome, pics would be appreciated
Im going to wait until i can paint my mudguards silver and clearcote them so they match the car. - T
Hehehe... I'm lucky I got the BSP... my mudguards are kinda camoflauged...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 15 2004, 12:17 PM
Aw, T! You're too much!!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Eden Project@Aug 15 2004, 03:06 PM
are mudguards _REALLY_ necessary? anyways, good luck, hope they turn out cool!
Hmm... I guess the need factor depends on where you live. They are kinda necessary for keeping the mud, dirt, rocks that kick up on your tCs bottom panel. It may prevent some scratches... but if you don't care... then I guess it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think mudguards look good on the tC. Nice little tutorial; there should be a thread for FAQ's by users like you.

I don't think I got the balls to drill into a new car,

·
Registered
936 Posts
wow, awesome writeup and pics........very much appreciated! Great job, and looks like you had a lot of fun doing it
Sweet tC too. - T

·
Registered
116 Posts
The mudguards really help from getting your paint messed up in winter. Around here they put a crushed rock on the roads when it snows. The stuff gets thrown up by your tires and chips away at the paint. I highly recommend putting them on if you drive in snow that has had chat put on it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone... sorry for the blurry pictures... I guess thats what you get when you have a 5 megapixel camera and an idiot operator... hahaha...

I'm planning on installing my struts too... maybe I can add onto FrostbytetC's pictures....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping they blend in sorta' well with the FM too...and my old car's back panel is torn up from rocks and tar, etc. that have damaged it...and if $40ish bucks on some mudflaps can help keep that from happening, that's $40.00 I'll happily spend.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts