Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot about MSD Ignitions as a possible 'upgrade' for a little extra HP or better gas mileage. How exactly do they work? Do they simply create a better spark, or are they only effective in a pressurized environment (SC/TC)? I'm just curious as to how these work, and if they'd have an effect in a tC. Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had an MSD ignition system in my z28, what it effectively did was solve my problem of misfire. I had more fuel flowing to the engine than stock, and coupled with slightly fouled spark plugs, I would get misfires. I ended up getting those platnium +4's and the msd system, solved all my problems. It just creates a stronger, and in some cases, slightly longer spark. I don't see it making a difference on a stock tC, not unless it's SC/TC like you said, or the fuel system had been upgraded and the stock ignition was having trouble keeping up.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The stock ignitian is quite good, nothing to be gained really unless building a hard core race engine and then you would most likely use something else anyway. Check the HP numbers the turbo kits are producting, have not seen any mention of ignitian mods so far;)

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Big ignition just masks tuning problems. It makes the engine run when it shouldn't. I wrote a big long post about this before, but I'm tired and don't want to search for it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.