Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had these annoying problems for a while and decided to finally do something about it. I use one of 3 burners to make my MP3 cds and several different brands of blanks (mostly Office Depot ones). I did not compile any statistics yet as far as which brand, which burner make most of squeaky MP3s, but still wanted to get some feedback on this.

I keep the disks in a holder, so they are not scratched up, but still sometimes I get annoying high-pitched squeaks during the song, or it will pause and seem like it's trying to read the disk.

I'm sure if it's not a problem of the HU, others would run into the same issue.

So please be nice and let me know.

P.S. My car is a year old.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Occasionaly I will get the squeak through my Alpine head unit, i think it is the program that compresses the file though, not the reader.

Edit: Typically dust will cause this, try compressed air in there

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I have the same problem, I found that brushing the bottom of the CD makes it very unlikely to do so.

Another thing I noticed is that it ALWAYS does it on folder 5-7... and no others.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might borrow one of these cleaning CDs with little bristles on them and see if it helps. Plus I started putting the burner name on the CDs I burn. we'll see in 6 months

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
In the past I have had a near 90% failure rate with the crappy Office Depot blanks. You've tried other brands but I just wanted to mention the fact that I hate and will never again buy CDs from them.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I have the same experience as OBike. I have a CD full of MP3s that only squeaks and skips in one spot, and it is consistent. It did not squeak or skip at all the first month or so I played it, but as time went on, it developed into a continuing problem that remains today.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Same answer as Pliss. Make sure you're using name-brand CD-Rs, TDK,Maxell,Memorex,Sony, for instance. If it's not the disc, it (as you are aware) would be the software or your burner hardware.
If your burner is over 2 yrs. old and you burn a lot, you may need a replacement.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the important part is not the brand, but manufacturer code of the blank. That you can look up through most decent CD-burning apps or couple of CD-info apps.

I guess I finally have to pay attention to that...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Plissken@Jul 26 2005, 10:26 PM
You can also try turning down your burn speed. Not the best answer but may lead you to some answers.
I always burn at 4x. Old Skool.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No issues here. But then I am a boring [email protected] as well. I looked at all the CDs I owned, and burned 8 MP3s at about 6 to 7 CDs per MP3. I think I used something namebrand like TDK or Maxell, but I can't remember. That is all I need given my short commute and the fact that I have Sirius for anything longer.

No squeals, just an occasional odd skip.

Cheers!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jul 26 2005, 09:17 PM
Actually the important part is not the brand, but manufacturer code of the blank. That you can look up through most decent CD-burning apps or couple of CD-info apps.

I guess I finally have to pay attention to that...
hey zoltiz..

the ones i found that work in the tC's headunit are the cd-r FujiFilm (10 pack) at best buy.. andt eh cd-rw TDK (hi-speed) also at best buy.. try those out they are quiet and relieable for me..

as someone else mentioned that the name brands aren't made by them, only a few CD manufacturers in the world.. the FujiFilm's are actually made by Taiyo Yuden, extremely reliable and never had a failure rate at ANY burning speed.. great stuff, try it out ..

and yeah forget the office depot junk.. i've had problems with them in any cd player..

try out what i suggested and let us know..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.