Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_...ry/index10.html

They think that Mazda3 hatch is more fun to drive than tC. Lancer is more fun, too. the only thing that we beat from their test group is a Focus.

Motor Trend should lay off illegal substances or hire people that can be objective and not accept "gifts" from automakers.

The expertise displayed by the author reminded me of BestBuy salesboys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Interesting...well to each their own, im definately happy with what i have. There is a feeling of sophistication in the tC that is lacking is so many of those other cars. If you have ever been in a mazda 3 for example you will understand what i mean, i have never been surrounded in more cheap plastic than when i sit in the 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
MSRP for the Cooper is $20,950.
MSRP for the Lancer is $19,074.
MSRP for the Focus is $18,765.
MSRP for the Mazda is $17,665.

MSRP for the tC is $16,515.

Hmm... so the $21,000, supercharged car somehow beat the $16.5k tC? They're challenging C&D for ultimate-wanker status. The Mazda would then seem to be the overall winner with all things taken into consideration. I test drove one. Not impressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Jul 25 2005, 11:26 AM
MSRP for the Cooper is $20,950.
MSRP for the Lancer is $19,074.
MSRP for the Focus is $18,765.
MSRP for the Mazda is $17,665.

MSRP for the tC is $16,515.

Hmm... so the $21,000, supercharged car somehow beat the $16.5k tC? They're challenging C&D for ultimate-wanker status. The Mazda would then seem to be the overall winner with all things taken into consideration. I test drove one. Not impressed.
Price isn't the only factor when deciding which car is better. The Cooper S "somehow" beating the tC is no surprise. Obviously you have never driven one, they are great cars and it would be a shock if it did not win a comparison between similar cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
I have driven a Cooper S, and I think you're missing the point... price is obviously not the only factor, as they chose cars over a $4k spread; but then they based their final analysis off of 90% fun-to-drive-factor, 10% everything-else. The roadtest itself is flawed. If the tC's handling is "bland yet quirky", I'd like to know what magic Mazda they received. The one we drove rode like a Focus.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,467 Posts
I agree with Ryan. Sh!tty tires are the stock car's death in the fun to drive category. It is nothing short of amazing how much better the car is with good rubber underneath it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Note the coupe/convertible category of the article.

We have a 3-door wagon (cooper), 5-door wagon (mazda3), 2 4-door sedans (mitsu and focus) and coupe/liftback (tc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
"The Scion tC's got the eyes of a BMW 5 Series, the chamfered nose of a Volvo S40, the dome of a VW Passat, and the soul of a Lexus--which is to say it's a bit of an uninspiring mongrel to look at."

What?? I get compliments on my ride all the time, by the most random people. Plus, if you take a bunch of well engineered german cars and take pieces from it, why would it look uninspired? Last time I filled up my tank, the gas station guy leans in and goes "by the way, this is a really nice car, man." Now, granted he's not much of an authority on cars, but he doesn't have his head up his ass like the editor of motortrend. Who cares, nobody reads their sh!t anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Wow...what a crappy article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jul 25 2005, 07:44 AM
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_...ry/index10.html

They think that Mazda3 hatch is more fun to drive than tC. Lancer is more fun, too. the only thing that we beat from their test group is a Focus.

Motor Trend should lay off illegal substances or hire people that can be objective and not accept "gifts" from automakers.

The expertise displayed by the author reminded me of BestBuy salesboys.
It's funny cause I was originally looking at the mazda 3 sedans and went to a mazda dealership right before I bought my tC (didn't know much about the tC's). I test drove a 3 and just wasn't all that impressed and yeah the interior isn't half as nice as the tC and they are more expensive... plus it's a mazda, you can't compare mazda to toyota in terms of quality no f'n way. Shortly after I drove my tC home, so yeah that guy is an idiot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Jul 25 2005, 12:30 PM
"The Scion tC's got the eyes of a BMW 5 Series, the chamfered nose of a Volvo S40, the dome of a VW Passat, and the soul of a Lexus--which is to say it's a bit of an uninspiring mongrel to look at."

What?? I get compliments on my ride all the time, by the most random people. Plus, if you take a bunch of well engineered german cars and take pieces from it, why would it look uninspired? Last time I filled up my tank, the gas station guy leans in and goes "by the way, this is a really nice car, man." Now, granted he's not much of an authority on cars, but he doesn't have his head up his ass like the editor of motortrend. Who cares, nobody reads their sh!t anyway.
What I love so much about my car is 90% of the time I get "Dude, what is that thing???" They think it's some really nice car when it's really 17k, shhhhh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
While I found the Mazda 3 "uninspiring" at best, the car on that list that should least be listed above the tC is the POS Lancer. I drove one of those for 3 days while waiting for my tC to arrive, and it made me want my Corolla back. That Lancer looked cheap, felt cheap, and drove like a turd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
^^^But was it the Lancer RALLIART?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
A most interesting, yet flawed read. Of the cars tested, they Cooper S is definitely the most fun to drive with out a doubt. But when you outfitted your S to match the tC (you know, fun stuff like the sunroof, etc.), the price differential drives the S out of existance. That and the fact that you have even less room behind you.

I will always have a soft spot for the 3, no matter what you all say. Despite that, the 3 felt deadened compared to the tC. Sort of like your grand-dad's car (god bless his soul
). Like driving a pillow.

The other cars? Well folks, that what you need when you have to fill up some pages of a magazine. Plain, bulky filler.

We got the best car for the money and we know it.

 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top