Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price paid: $17.90 + tax at Advance Auto

Inside the box:
16oz spray - Mothers California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer
4oz bottle - Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax
80g bar - Yellow Clay - 3" x 1" x .5"

First impressions: The Clay bar is tiny; Upon examination, doesn't seem to be any special material in particular - just your average modeling clay. Showtime Instant Detailer seems like your average thin spray polish. Leaves a residue, doesn't dry clear - needs to be buffer off. Cleaner Wax - tiny bottle; Had already purchased Meguiar's Gold Class - all I really wanted to buy was the piece of clay.

Price Value: 2 of 5 stars too expensive.
Product Value: 3 of 5 stars didn't need the extras, but at least I get to try them.

Directions: 5 of 5 stars included, complete, easy.

1) Wash and dry car with recommended Mothers products.
2) Wet a 2' square with Showtime Instant Detailer.
3) Rub the clay bar back and forth.
4) Wipe off excess Showtime.
5) Fold clay bar and knead to a new flat surface - repeat for rest of car.
6) Use Cleaner Wax.

Usage: 4 of 5 stars Easy, but the Showtime left a little funk.

Simple enough, no frills. Clean and dry the car, spray the juice, and rub with the bar.

Results: 3.5 of 5 stars

Did remove the bugs and dirt; Did not remove all leftover adhesive from the new-car wrap on the trunk and hood. Had to fingernail the remainder off. Showtime wasn't an instant fix or replacement for a real coat of wax - I didn't use the Cleaner Wax because it says "Removes Oxidation and Restores Colors" - and this is a new car; I don't want to use an abrasive wax.

Good: Worked.
Bad: Poor value.
Perplexing: No "New Paint Job" product on the market?!

In the future, I will just buy a bar of high quality modeling clay for a two bucks at the art store, and use spray-and-wax.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
That ain't modelling clay. Clay would fall apart within seconds when sprayed with water and rubbed on a car. It reminds me most of poster-tack, that blue putty you stick posters to the wall with.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5. The real key is the pre-prep: if you've ever waxed your car, at all, you'll need to strip the car using Dawn or equivalent. Otherwise, the bar will just slide around atop the wax. And waxing after using the bar is an absolute must-- you're down to bare clear at that point.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
clay bar is not an adhesive remover. it is used to remove surface contaminents from the paint. adhesive may seem like a contaminent, but it is a whole different animal. there is no better product for PREPPING, not treating your paint, for a real detail than clay bar. Clay bar is not a final product at all. Paint is at least two steps away from being finished after a good clay. Also, there is no such thing as an abrasive wax, no matter the labeling. If a wax advertises any surface enhancement its either a temporary gap filler or contains a small bit of polish which will not harm any paint surface if used properly.

I admit, clay bar packages are a bit pricey for what you get, but it is easier to just buy the bars instead. Those can be had at detail supply stores or online. For this product I agree with the value assessment.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Another note, unless there is a lot of overspray (which a standard, low abrasive clay like this probably wont help anyway) , it is essentially worthless to clay a new car. As a matter of fact, many will tell you to drive it a month or so before even waxing it.

I have used the exact same bar on my tC and feel it does the job well. Removes the surface stuff that builds up and does not come off with normal washing. But as others have said, you need to wax afterward. During the application, the spray they give you works as a lubricant, so you will end up with streaks and residue here and there afterward. Dont expect to end up with a waxed, shiny finish until after your wax the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used this product several years ago and was very happy with the results. It takes a whole lot of work to get the intended results, but they do show. I did this on my Lex and the results were unbelievable:

Use bug/tar remover
Wash with dishwashing soap to remove old wax
Clay Bar
Wash
Liquid Glass car polish
Meguires Gold Carnuba wax

I am a big fan of Clay Bar and would definitely recommend it to anyone that has a car several years old. If your car is relatively new, there's really no point. Now if I can find college student to do it cheap so I can spare my arms from all the work...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it works pretty good, not much different that other clay bars I've used in the past. The IMPORTANT thing is to never let the quick detailer dry off. You need to wipe it off as soon as you clay.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've found the claybar to be one of the best parts of cleaning a car. Excepting that I REALLY wish they were sold separately. I have plenty of the Show Time Quik Detailer left but just the hood of the dad's Camry soiled practically half the bar (the Camry hasn't ever been clayed in its life which began in 1999.)

The difference in shine is noticeable.

Anyways... I was wondering, does the claybar go before or after the polish?

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (PhamKL @ Apr 20 2007, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=302089
I've found the claybar to be one of the best parts of cleaning a car. Excepting that I REALLY wish they were sold separately. I have plenty of the Show Time Quik Detailer left but just the hood of the dad's Camry soiled practically half the bar (the Camry hasn't ever been clayed in its life which began in 1999.)

The difference in shine is noticeable.

Anyways... I was wondering, does the claybar go before or after the polish?[/b]
Before, this is the steps I usually take:

Rinse, Soap, Rinse again, Dry, then I Clay bar, after that I use the Scratch X, Buff it out, then apply the NXT wax (I try to stick with Meguiar stuff)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the product works great. I used to manage a detail shop for about 4 years and have used several clay bar products before. I used it on my wifes jeep wrangler. The crap coming off the paint was amazing. I used the clay bar then the cleaner wax then eagle 1 nanowax. I'll post some photos of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a great product. If your having trouble getting the "showtime" off it's because you have little to no wax on your finish. It tells you this on the bottle.

If you haven't waxed your car all winter, you may want to use a pre-wax cleaner before using the clay bar or you will fill the bar up with "gunk" very quickly and not get many uses out of it. Also, the "gunk" doesn't just dissolve it is stuck in the clay so "knead" the bar often.

Yes, you have to wax your car after the clay bar or you just wasted a couple hours of work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Mothers Clay Bar and I have to say I'm 110% satisfied with the product. When used as instructed, it did what any clay bar should do -- remove the adhered settement (sp?) from the pain. If you are finding the Quick Detailer is leaving a residue, then you are claybarring too large a space at a time. Do a smaller section (it says 2'x2' and it is right) and wipe off the excess spray ASAP. I didn't have a single streak or mark after claybarring a section of my ride.

With that said, I don't think it's much different then other name-brand clay bars. It's nice that it comes with a nice microfiber towl though ^_^

I plan on using this product again in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts