Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels will be here next week. The tires I just picked up today. I know a 235/40/18 is pushin it on a 7-1/2" wheel, but they should be OK. My question is, has anyone had any experience with this brand??? I guess they are in a joint venture w/ Michelin...should be a good tire. I also checked out some reviews online and they seem to be pretty good for the money. I got them for $320 OTD, so I really can't complain. My biggest concern is wet traction and ride comfort...anyone???

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Dude you might want to return thoughs tires. I had this same problem when selecting a second set of tires. I use a 18x8 and I went from a 225/40/18 to a 245/35/18. If you use a 235/40/18 you are incressing the diameter by 3%. That might not seem like alot but you will notice the lose of acceleration and your speedo will be off. If you want a good balance for that size rim try a 225/40/18.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Ryan, but there is no taking them back. I am aware of the difference this size tire will make in regards to speedo and acceleration. I just wanted input from those that may have had experience with this particular tire, if anyone has.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few others I've talked to have made me second guess my decision on this combo. So I checked the overall diameter of the 225/40/18 vs. the 235/40/18 and it is only a 2.75mm difference...is that enough to actually feel the loss in acceleration?? I wish I could have gotten the wheels in an 8", but they don't offer it. These tires were a one time deal I couldn't pass on...did I make a mistake???

...LANCE, ANYONE...HELP!!!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The diameter of the OEM tire is 24.62". The 225/40/18 is quite a bit larger than that at 25.09". The 235 is 25.40" in diameter. That's more than 3/4" larger in diameter. It's a lot. It might rub, it will definitely be throwing your speedo off. It will slightly hurt acceleration, but as low as the gears are in the tC, it won't be a huge deal.

I wouldn't do it with my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.