Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talk to TRD headquarters in California and they told me the supercharger was not going to be released until sometime in November at the latest.

That really sucks because I wanted to order my TC with all the goodies on it at once. Looks like I will have to wait until November or whenever they consider releasing the supercharger TC.

I was going to get ground effects, lip spoiler, floor mats, TRD supercharger, TRD suspension kit, and the Borla (TRD) exhaust. Oh well, hopefully by then they will have factory fog lights ready to go.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Can't you just get a tC now and get the Supercharger bolted on at a Scion Dealer when their released? That was what I was aiming for, bolt on later.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's what I plan on doing also: getting the supercharger installed later on. However SWFLATC I bet you already have a car and can wait, I don't so I need to get the car now. Either way is fine you'll just have to be pacient and wait til November.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a 04' Corolla S about 3 months ago so I don't need a car immediatley, but I just don't want to drive another TC until everything I want done to it is on and finished.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by SWFLATC@Jul 7 2004, 08:57 AM
I just got a 04' Corolla S about 3 months ago so I don't need a car immediatley, but I just don't want to drive another TC until everything I want done to it is on and finished.
you should drive yours without the charger for a while first. 1 - to get good and used to it, and 2 - to break in your factory engine. give it over 1k miles before you bolt on a forced induction system of any kind.
also, at 1k, swap out your factory oil - and yes, run synthetic. your car deserves as much. i would recommend a K&N oil filter as well, or the TRD equivilant.
then bolt on that 'charger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how do you break in a vehicle with a turbo or supercharger already equipped (example: Saab, Subaru, Volvo, and diesel vehicles equipped a turbo). TRD would not produce a product that would harm a vehicle. My own opinion.

I will definitley be using Mobil 1 TRI - Synthetic w/ 93 octane.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by SWFLATC@Jul 7 2004, 01:07 PM
So how do you break in a vehicle with a turbo or supercharger already equipped (example: Saab, Subaru, Volvo, and diesel vehicles equipped a turbo). TRD would not produce a product that would harm a vehicle. My own opinion.

I will definitley be using Mobil 1 TRI - Synthetic w/ 93 octane.
those engines are designed around the respective charger. you are bolting on an aftermarket (whether it comes from toyota or not) product that changes your engines performance from stock. its your call, just making a suggestion.
regardless, i cant imagine anyone wanting to drive a modified car without first having driven it stock for at least a handful of miles. personally, i think its important to know your car inside and out - but i take the relationship with my vehicles seriously.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7 year / 100,000 miles is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
plz guys, checkout the TRD web site reguarding there superchargers...... ur better off getting the super from the get go...

and no the charger is not an "aftermarket" part, it is a factory option that will not be availible till the fall.

plz read all of the info that TRD provides...

here http://www.trdusa.com/

checkout the FAQ under "trd parts / superchargers"

the main difrence is that Scion is offering these parts from the factory/dealer... it is a first for Toyota.

hope this helps

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^^????

perhaps you are better getting a supercharger from the get go. most people i know in the performance industry want to understand their car at every level of power, as with more power, nearly every aspect of your performance is changed. that is merely a personal preference, not gospel.

and just because it comes included in the cost of the car doesnt mean its a "factory option". in truth, the only factory options are side airbags and the automatic transmission. everything else is what we call an accessory, and it is all installed after the car leaves the factory. so they are not factory options, not even our superchargers. the are aftermarket parts by the very definition.

the FAQ's really dont say anything about when to put one on, just that it wont cause more wear on the engine than without it. and i dont remember anyone saying it would hurt the engine to run a supercharger. again on the personal preference, i would suggest breaking in the factory engine without a forced induction system. 20 years of building cars has learned me something.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
its not really an issue of the power, its a compression issue. The motor stock has higher compression so it responds well without the super charger. When you bolt up a supercharger, you're flowing alot more air into a motor that is built with NA in mind. Your compression stays the same, thats why its best to break in the motor before you but any sort of forced induction system on it. Cars that come with turbos or SCs are built expressly for that. With lower compression pistions and fuel injectors and pumps made to handle boost. I'm not sure what comes wiht the supercharger for the tC, but if it doesn't come with a boost gauge, i'd suggest getting one. Also maybe something to increase fuel pressure like a fuel pump. Just to keep things running smoothly and to keep away from detonation...

·
Registered
614 Posts
the TRD exhaust is made by borla? if so, i didn't know that and that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
To oversimplify a LOT, Damon is basically saying that the only things that come on the car from the factory are the standard options, plus side airbags and auto (if selected). Other than that, the dealer adds everything. Therefore, the car is not specifically engineered to work ONLY with those other added parts (such as a supercharger). Right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts