Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...more questions for Lance

I'm getting seriously close to ordering this - http://www.creativecompacts.com/Merchant2/...=SciontCExhaust probably with the magnaflow muffler, and absolutely with the performance cat.

Question 1 - Is there a sensor behind the second cat that is going to throw a CEL if I replace it with a different cat, similar to the Megan Racing Header?

Question 2 - Is there any way I'm going to pass smog in CA with this, assuming it doesn't throw a CEL?

Question 3 - Have you dyno'd your cars yet, Lance? I'd like to do a serious review of this exhaust if I do end up getting it; with lots of videos and a before/after dyno, if possible. I'm not sure what that costs. It's all bolt on, so it should be an easy install, but maybe I'll see if Damon is for hire on this project and some of us could get together at his garage and throw it together before cruising over to a dyno
That way I could get some video of Damon's exhaust as well.... anyway, I'm way ahead of myself at this point.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
1. No.

2. Yes. Cat back does not affect passing smog.

3. No. I had an appointment to dyno on March 24th, but I was not able to keep it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This kit replaces the cat though, not just the piping behind it. ANyway, I had a nice long talk with a guy from creative compacts this morning and he was very helpful. He even sent me a couple videos from their dyno run. The exhaust should be here sometime nice week

Edit - what does it cost to do a dyno run?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Dyno runs at Motorsport Dynamics are $65 an hour.

If you replace the cat with less than 100k miles, you might have a problem. It will depend on where you go to have your smog done. It might be prudent to hold on to your stock pieces and bolt them back in place for smog testing. If nothing else, it will stop any silly questions about compliance. That's what I would do.

The unfortunate thing about catalytic converters is, it is illegal to remove a functional cat. It is not illegal to remove a non-functional cat and replace it with a high flow cat, but removing the OEM unit just because you want to replace it is not legal in California. Supra owners have occasionally hit a speed bump or two to seriously dent the outer shell on the OEM cat to get by this technicality and install a high flow cat by Random Technology or Car Sound.

If you choose change the cat, either plan to restore the original one at smog time, or have some kind of repair order showing the faulty OEM cat was replaced with a CARB approved cat. Most cats are CARB approved, so that isn't a big worry.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clearing that up, Lance. I do plan to keep my stock exhaust in case I run into trouble when I have to smog my car.

$65/hr? So if a few of us went that wouldn't be much per person........ anybody else interested in the sac area?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.