Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have some news about the moonroof popping issue. I was at the dealership talking to the sales manager and he said there's not going to be a TSB for the moonroof issue. There's just isn't a resolution for it because the body of a car flexes, so with the size of the moonroof, it's normal that it will contract and expand with the flex of the car and the "pop" is just a side effect.

Honestly, I've only heard mine pop twice since I got it and that's only if I go up a curb diagonally.

I don't know if what he said is true, but I just thought you guys might want to know and see if you've heard anything different.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, if there ISN'T a fix I'm OK with that....so long as it's just a noise I hear everynow and then.

If the flexing might be causing structural damage to the moonroof or other parts of the car, then I might worry...hehe.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by ycart1201@Aug 12 2004, 03:12 PM
so... its expected that all tC's will have the popping roof problem?

Nathan
ycart1201

pS: if it is really bad, i bet toyota changes the roof for the 06 model year...
I think so... most people have reported problems...

(just for TCrazy) I love my tC in every way...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I haven't heard any popping... although my music is usually up too loud to hear anything else anyways. And honestly, if thats the only wide spread problem with a brand new car.... we should be soo greatful!

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i talked with scion directly and they've said that yes there will be a TSB on it, that they are in the "finalization stage" of the TSB.. when pressed on what that means they said they are finalizing the research to put together into a bulletin..

So yeah I doubt that toyota/scion is going to leave this alone.. too much is at stake when people gave the xA and xB such low marks on the JD powers survey.. I doubt they want that.. naw I think that there will be one.. just for those who do experience the noises.. Scion found out that these owners are the pickiest around.. lol

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Aug 12 2004, 09:00 PM
yeah i talked with scion directly and they've said that yes there will be a TSB on it, that they are in the "finalization stage" of the TSB.. when pressed on what that means they said they are finalizing the research to put together into a bulletin..

So yeah I doubt that toyota/scion is going to leave this alone.. too much is at stake when people gave the xA and xB such low marks on the JD powers survey.. I doubt they want that.. naw I think that there will be one.. just for those who do experience the noises.. Scion found out that these owners are the pickiest around.. lol
I am going to wait until the official TSB comes out... I don't want to be their guinea pig anymore... I can live with the noise for now... once the TSB comes out... maybe a month or two after, I'm gonna take my car in.

I think Scion has to really work on satisfying the customers cause they just rolled out the Scions nationwide... they want to make a good first impression in these new areas...

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah imasaf.. i agree don't be their guinea pig.. no thanks.. but yes they have to work harder on this tC.. and they probably will.. they seem very willing to help out the customer.. from what I've seen. A lot more friendly than how Honda had gotten (very argumentative with anything you ask.. anything not to help out a long time customer).. that's why I switched..

·
Registered
290 Posts
awwwww the beautiful sacrafices that must be made to drive such a beautifully engineered rigid automobile. the info the dealer gave you is totally true this is just the body flexing on uneven ground with the moonroof glass not being able to keep up with that flex!!! My dad owns a vette and because it is so stiff when you jack it up to change a tire or work on it you must loosen the targa top and open the doors so you dont crack the fiberglass panels:) just a sign of a stiff frame ready for suspension mods for greta handling. no major defects:) just try not to run over curbs..

·
Registered
409 Posts
hmmm, i think i heard the noise on the way back from the dealership, but never heard it since, is it like a pop? or just a weird noise?

·
Registered
793 Posts
This first time I heard it I thought a big rock had smacked my roof or something...

SO throw at rock at your roof, listen to the sound, and then you'll know what mind sounds like.

Hehe.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by QSJ Ed@Aug 13 2004, 11:05 AM
The rock hitting the roof is the perfect definition... the first couple of times I freaked out and looked around for delinquent children.
ROFL....I was on the interstate when it first happened to me, and thought maybe the truck beside me dumped something on my roof...

The second time it happened, I WAS driving through my neighborhood and did a quick look-around as an instinctive reaction, but there are so many delinquent kids in my neighborhood it's almost a waste of time looking....

(Seriously, one boy next door to us use to take his BB Gun and shoot at our canoe, camper, and even my poor cat....)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Aug 12 2004, 08:00 PM

good to know they are gonna do something about it.

Nathan
ycart1201

1 - 16 of 16 Posts