Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a tC on order this weekend once i sign my loan papers (have to put $500 deposit down if i order it). Since I laid my eyes on these tC's i have been wanting to get one! Been doing research and found some posts on here about moonroof rattlings and things like that....thats the least of my worries but what happens in the event of accidents? do all those glass come crashing down on you or what? I havent seen any crash rating tests on any scions, any ideas where i can look? I want to erase that horrible thought of the moonroof glass crashing down on my head during an accident and get the tC.

Liz

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand if you were to roll or have something fall on top of the car to break the moonroof. I have seen accidents where a car is t-boned and the roof of the car is bent upwards, what would have happend if it was made of all glass? My brother was in an accident where the glass were embedded into his face and neck and i would hate to have all that glass above me. Trust me I really really want this beautiful car and love the way the moonroof looks, just never know if some idiots out there would hit me. I worry way too much sometimes, just want the car so bad!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Don't buy the car if it scares you to get in it every day. At 3k lbs this isn't some flimsy light car. It'd take a large vehicle hitting you pretty hard in the side for the glass to break. When the glass breaks it should break into cubes anyway, not shards of glass.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by Eric@Jul 21 2004, 12:08 AM
There's a ton of reinforcement in the doors and roof structure, so I'm sure the engineers at Scion/Toyota thought of and tested everything... I would like to see some crash tests & ratings just out of curiosity though
i'm just gonna drive around with a helmet on!!!

seriously though i'd have to agree with Eric.. the engineers had to have safety
concerns in mind when designing the moonroof as it is

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
n3ro<-----i'm just gonna drive around with a helmet on!!!
great idea!! lol that would make me feel alot safer although i would look really retarded. I think those tC's are so beautiful cant wait to own my own. I might be able to get it next week instead of 6 weeks bc one dealer wants to put it on order but if i sign the papers now, i'd have to make my first payment before i even get the car (private financing) so i contacted other dealers in the area. one said they have a shipment coming in the middle of next week with one car exactly the way i want it.
wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told by my dealer that they can't do any paperwork until the car gets in because they need a VIN. But, this might be specific to AZ. Also, be careful of dealers telling you one thing when the truth is far from it. I have read that Scion dealers are notorious for adding on accessories to drive the price up--even after they tell you they have exactly what you want on order. No haggle pricing is nice; but, it doesn't mean that dealers can't find ways to make an extra couple hundred bucks. As many people have said on various threads, remember that this is a big purchase and if it isn't exactly what you want you should probably wait. Trust me I know how much the wait can suck; I don't go anywhere without a phone because I want it to ring so bad.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Also remember that the dealer installed accessories are just that...DEALER INSTALLED. It seems that a lot of poeple here are having the dealers tell them, "the car came with that." Bullshit. If the dealer gives you that line just turn around and walk out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Jul 21 2004, 10:47 PM
Also remember that the dealer installed accessories are just that...DEALER INSTALLED. It seems that a lot of poeple here are having the dealers tell them, "the car came with that." Bullshit. If the dealer gives you that line just turn around and walk out.
Good point...I wasn't even thinking about it that way.

MAN I hope my salesman doesn't try some crap like that. So far, he seems really cool and I'd hate to throw away a month of waiting on a car because he tried to pull one over on me. I'd have to cry...

·
Registered
27 Posts
the dealers at the place i got my tC at did something like that.... I ordered just a standard one in silver streak mica (with automatic transmission), but as i was in the process of buying it, the price seemed way higher than it should. Sure enough, there were other options on it that I had to pay for. But you know, I'm kinda glad it came with what it did and i dont really mind paying the extra bucks every month.

·
Registered
793 Posts
What kinda' stuff did they try to sneak on there?

·
Registered
167 Posts
what if a tree branch fall on it... will it crack?... i just hope they're not too expensive to replace though... cracks are really expensive you know?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by JackerCrack@Jul 23 2004, 07:01 AM
what if a tree branch fall on it... will it crack?... i just hope they're not too expensive to replace though... cracks are really expensive you know?
I can guarantee you that replacing a broken peice of glass is FAR less expensive than getting a massive dent in your roof fixed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Jul 23 2004, 04:33 AM
What kinda' stuff did they try to sneak on there?
the 6 cd changer, the lip spoiler, cargo mats, and wheels locks. Glad they did stick me with those, tho,except for the wheel locks cuz my dad can get me those for free since he owns a Firestone auto service/tire store.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dang.....they weren't playing around, huh? If it were just the locks and mats ("small" stuff) that might be one thing.....but $300+ items?!? I bet they'll have more and more trouble getting away with stuff like that the longer the car is out.

Well, at least you're happy with the items, but it still sucks they tried it in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts