Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put this oil in at my 5k mile mark after two oil changes at 1k and 3k. Not the biggest gear head in the world so I asked the service tech at the local auto parts store how many miles before every oil change. He explained that Mobile 1 CAN go as far as 10k miles, not that I would ever put that kind of miles on any oil nor did he recommend that. Well my car has 8k (3k on the current oil) and I'm asking you guys what is the smart thing to do. I'm planning to change it after 5k at the max. Any info? Is 5k ok?

Did some searches and didn't come up with much. Just some topic arguments on weather synthetic is worth it or not.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
mobile 1 synthetic can go 10K... the oil filter will need to be changed around 7K, but the oil can make it 10K like the tech said.... but if the car is still under warrenty... you'll want to change the oil at the given intervals which are every 5K miles.... if you don't... say good bye to your warrenty

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Mobil (not mobile, for some reason many people think Alabama has something to do with oil, it doesn't) 1 can go to 25,000 miles or one year under the right conditions. Changing it at 5k is pointless. If you plan to change at 5k, no matter what, you might as well buy the bargain brand at Wal-Mart. It will provide equal protection and service life for that short a drain interval.

I run minimum 10k between changes when ever I use Mobil 1, Red Line, or Amsoil. They are all excellent oils and are all quite capable of surviving extended drain intervals. You need to change the filter at the specified interval - 5k - and top off. That's all you need to do.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There are people who ask the same question and have derogatory things to say. I know I have had mixed results with Red Line's stuff. I won't use their ATF on anything ever again. I like their engine oil and MTL/MT-90. I know people who use Shockproof, but have not used it myself.

It's hard to say how they do it, but they are focused on competition, not general use.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 20 2006, 12:03 PM
Mobil 1 can go to 25,000 miles or one year under the right conditions.
thanks for the input lo bux. i have been using mobil 1 since i my 4th oil change. i was a bit worried with my last 8k mile interval but reading your post put my mind at ease with that.

lo bux, what would be considered the "right conditions"?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
More long driving than short trips.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's pretty much the ideal answer to when should I change my oil.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm using Royal Purple full syn and they recommend changing your oil once per year but changing the filter every 6 months (under normal driving) unless you're under warranty in which case they recommend you change at the mfr specified interval.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
^^^ That's a thousand miles more often than even the owner's manual requires with normal oil, so I wouldn't imagine it would present any problems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mobil... sorry. I do drive about 30 miles to work one way, all highway so I feel better about the whole thing. Thanks for the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.