Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone request this oil at the dealership with the free oil change coupons?

If you have any personal experience with this oil please share. I only have 200mi on my tC but when I go in at 5,000 to get my oil changed I'm thinking of switching to mobil1.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Mobil 1 is excellent oil, but you won't get it free on your oil change. I run either Red Line or Mobil 1 in just about everything I own.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been running amsoil for the last few thousand. It's supposed to go 14k before a change and I have faith that it'll do just fine. It's running as smooth as the first day I changed the oil.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The oil may last 15K but a standard filter definately won't. I do use synthetic oil and Fram Double guard filters on my tC. That filter is good for 7K. Mobil1 and a handful of other filters will last longer like 10K plus, but I just dont like the idea of pushing it any further than 7K. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
^^I'm agreeing with Alpman on the fliter not lasting. If you want a little extra insurance WIX filters are quality stuff and they all include a oil reserve spring to always keep oil in them for startup. THis is a very similar setup to the Fram that alpman uses, however WIX has a little better filter media IMO.

·
Registered
730 Posts
For 10 bucks at WallyWorld the Fram DG series is fine for me. I just don't stretch it any further than 7K. Worked in my '98 Tacoma w/ 200K+ on it and never a single prob.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jun 25 2005, 02:14 PM
Mobil 1 is awesome, i would be leary of that 15000 mile oil though. Maybe it is just me being old fashioned, but I dont care what kind of oil I use, it always gets changed every 3000!!
Then you would be smart to switch to conventional (cheaper) oil. There is no significant advantage to synthetics for short drain intervals except under competition use.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I guess I always thought my car started better in the winter with the synthetic, it sounded that way at least. I ran Mobil 1 5-30 my last car (1991 Cadillac) and traded the car with 170,000 on it. It never burned a drop of oil. It could just be coincidence, but I guess I will always stick with the expensive stuff now

·
Registered
22 Posts
the fram double guard filter kills pressure, if you do some research on bobistheoilguy forums you will see some filtering tests, and find it was one of the worst rated filters.

But, the Toyota OEM filter was highly rated. Even the OEM filter has the anti drain back valve like the DG.

Me? I use OEM filter, and Mobile Clean 5000.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
They spend a lot of money on racing and marketing. Their engine oil is good stuff too, but so is Mobil 1 and it's easier to find in most places. I run Red Line in my Supra because I have used it for a long time and seen the results, but my tC gets Mobil 1 on the next change because it's excellent oil, it's relatively cheap, and you can find it just about anywhere if you need to top off. Not so for Red Line.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i am getting my first free oil changed in my tc today as we speak and i am switching to redline mtl for the tranny
cant wait till its done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.