Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Mitsu Evo VIII today as a possible new ride. Lots of cool features, decent power, chassis, and brakes. Anyone else own one or drive one?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
my friend took the sti and wrx on a test drive.

about the sti: feels like it wants to race ALL the time. gobs of power but he didnt feel the AWD much.

about the wrx: he took it on some curvy back roads and said he felt the AWD more than on the sti.

verdict: he said he would rather get the wrx than the sti. "i'm use to choosing horsepower over anything else, am i getting old?" ... LOL

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks are somewhere near last on my list. I didn't like the looks of my Supra when I bought it, but I sure liked being able to pass anything on an on-ramp at will, and motor away from nearly anything on the road.

I wouldn't be buying one for looks, it's purely for what it does.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
if performance is the only thing you're after, i'd have to say that the mustang cobra packs a hell of a wallop for the price. If you wanna stay import, I think the Evo and WRX stack up pretty evenly. The STI, ,is a whole other animal.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need four doors. Otherwise I'd get a GTO, they're making smokin' deals on them these days. Apparently they can't give them away.

I'm not a big Subaru fan. The STI is comparable to the Evo VIII for price, but the Evo is a tad down on power (276 vs. 300hp). Curb weights are very close, Evo comes with better rubber.

I'm not a Mitsu fan either, but the engine in the Evo is the 4G63. It is quite moddable and there is a great deal of tuning knowledge about them should I decide to make it something other than stock.

The real downside is Mitsu's rep for warranty sucks big time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just some options with 4 doors: IS, G35 or R32. Same price-range (30K). Power may be lower stock but seem to be more solid than a Sube or Dodgibishi - and easy to beef up. Just offering some thoughts...not trying to 'sell' any of 'em..fyi...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm looking at along with the Subaru WRX STi.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i like the EVO over the STi, never been a huge fan of subaru. from what ive read and rode around in (none of my friends will let me actuallky drive theirs), the EVO seems to be more of a racecar with license plates as the Subaru just acts like a tame street car that can haul ass if needed.

the EVO is only slower in a straight line by tenths of a second, every other test of slalom, track lap, and skidpad the evo takes it. but like you said the evo has better rubber and could definitely be the cause for this.

as for warranty i know that if mitsu suspects you have been racing or modding they are real hardasses, in fact ive even heard rumor that they check the SCCA signin sheets to see who is racing their EVOs and deny them warranty coverage!! the suby ive heard nothing about the warranty

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Zero: While mitsu is a hard ass about the warranty, they don't do that (one of the members in the car club works on Mitsu's all the time, has also worked for a few Mitsu dealers in the service department).

lo bux: I'd consider this... there are a decent amount of owners in the auburn car club that own WRX's, STI's, and EVO 8's. Yet every single WRX or STI owner that takes a ride in the EVO 8 wishes they had bought it instead. Just a little food for thought...

Oh and those that hadn't modded the EVO 8 immediately do so after their first encounter with Mitsubishi about the warranty. Simply so they don't have to go through that bullcrap ever again. Hell, VR-4's had a federal recall on their transfer casing(and in the fine print federal recalls are covered by warranty, no matter how many miles you have etc) and Mitsu is STILL giving them a hard time about replacing or servicing them.

I can PM you a friends e-mail address that has done a decent amount of work on his EVO. So far he's dynoflashed w/ a "Fireball 2", Vishnu Xede w/ his own custom-tuned maps, B&B 3" turboback w/ test pipe... and when he took it to the drag strip he did a [email protected] on pump (that was also with him taking it easy off the line... no launch whatsoever and he didn't really get on it until 2nd gear).

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 31 2004, 02:40 PM
I was looking at the Mitsu Evo VIII today as a possible new ride. Lots of cool features, decent power, chassis, and brakes. Anyone else own one or drive one?
The Evo is an amazing piece of technology....I'd own one instead of a tC if my car budget was $10k more.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I'll keep the tc for the sexy daily driver, and the evo for the performance *****.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can if you don't suck at the internet!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.