Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new here. I have an 08 TC and in June I had to have a short to the firing system repaired. Ran ok for a few months but now it’s intermittently misfiring. Usually happens a few times in the morning but nothing the rest of the day. It does have horrible pickup though. Everyone thinks I’m crazy because of course it only happens when I’m driving it. I’m told (by family members) that it can’t misfire and still run somewhat normally and it’s just running like that because the car is old. I know my car and it’s not normal. I also have a CEL on because the EVAP VSV needs to be replaced. Would that cause a misfire? I’m female and know zero about car repair. I think I’m probably causing more damage by driving it with this happening. Any insight would be amazing and thank you in advance❤

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your car have a misfire, your computer should register a trouble code. The indication of it would be a check engine light on your dash, somewhere under the speedometer or rpm gauge. It may not show if it is too intermittent. This type of misfire is caused by the coil to one of the four spark plugs (each spark plug have it's own coil). The coil is plugged and snapped on the top of your spark plug worn plugs have high resistance and if your coil insulator is cracked from heat it can have arcing which is your short. If there is an Autozone Auto Parts they will read your CEL Code free which will tell you what's going on. Your EVAP code most of the time is a leaking gas cap. First try to wipe a little grease around the rubber gasket where it contacts the lip of the gas filler or if you see any cracks on the rubber gasket, change it. Spark plug coils cost $15 - $25 each. Worn or cracked spark plugs can also give your intermittent short.Spark plugs cost about $3.50 to $6.00 each. Sometimes when you buy a set, coils or plugs you may get a price break. While EVAP is an air leak and does cause some erratic running, your loss of power sounds more electrical, but mind you I'm only guessing based by your description. Have the code read will help more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts