Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my sidemarker overlays from http://www.ten8teen.com - very good prices, online ordering and they accept paypal. The selection of overlays is constatly expanding, so check back every once in a while, or email them with ideas. They seemed like a friendly bunch and like our cars a lot.

Here it is:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Tchi@Dec 8 2004, 02:54 PM
Looks good. Do you know how thick the overlay is?
What are they measured in? It seemed pretty thick, but good enough to accomodate the curve of the sidemarker. You can probably ask the guys that make em.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a close up in the shade:

And in the sun:

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I ordered a red third brake light overlay from ten8teen yesterday. Will post pictures after installation.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Dec 8 2004, 06:24 PM
how long do overlays last? same as decals?
Should be 5-7 years. I had similar overlays on my Matrix for a year - looked as good as new.

As far as thickness - I think it's measured in mils (no idea what it is), not milimiters (mm), cause 5-7mm is 1/4" and 17mm is almost 3/4"

And trimming - yes, I did trim mine, but I think it depends on how you apply them - I did not use a hairdryer, but if you do, then it might shrink a bit with heat and be perfect size.

Anyway, these are not as thick as clearguard stuff (they are not meant to protect), so a good guess would be 5-7mil. Email the guys who make them - they'll answer.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You're correct, zoltiz, thickness is measured in mils -- look at a package of garbage bags.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by tigga@Jan 20 2005, 05:49 PM
do they sell them in pairs or singles?
Pairs. And the price is shipped.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I originally asked this question under the topic "Order from Bluebatmobile?" but never got a response...I guess nobody pays attention to the newbies.
Anyway, I was wondering how hard it is to put overlays on. I'm especially interested in the 3rd brake and the sidemarkers. If anybody can briefly tell me how they're installed, that would be great.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Pharohz@Jan 31 2005, 09:56 PM
I originally asked this question under the topic "Order from Bluebatmobile?" but never got a response...I guess nobody pays attention to the newbies.
Anyway, I was wondering how hard it is to put overlays on. I'm especially interested in the 3rd brake and the sidemarkers. If anybody can briefly tell me how they're installed, that would be great.
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1806

Noobs...

IMO, if you have a heatgun or a hairdryer and some patience - it's not that hard. I did all mine without the hairdryer, just patience alone - and it was not that easy - took forever to get rid of the "edge wrinkles". So far I put 5-6 pairs of overlays on different cars / different surfaces, and general rule is if the surface has a very pronounced 3D curve - it's going to be a witch. Thus 3rd brake light is relatively easy, sidemarkers are a little harder, but still doable. Taillight overlays are even harder. Headlight eyelids on the other hand are pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Zoltiz.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The pics actually suck. I need to make a more natural / angled pic - it looks very clean without silver on mirrors. But... only after I get my lanscaping dent fixed. Oh, and the sidemarker overlay saved the lense once when I plowed into a mailbox

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.