Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I don't even know an xA owner.... I don't think the old ladies I see driving them around here want me to stop them & ask them how many mpg's they are getting.

Now for the tc....

city: 25
hwy: 36
comb: 34

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
What have you done to get 36 mpg out of your tC? I've never broken 30 on either of mine.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
drive 55-60 & no more on straight highway w/ no hills.
windows up & no A/C.
tires at exact pressure.
no overfill at gas pump.
no fast starts or stops & no long idles(more than 1 min.)
one person in car.

I got 36 once..... now that I have the Injen CAI... It's a bit less... maybe 30-32 at the most

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
yeah... it was 3 months after we got it... so it was cold & had just about perfect driving conditions but that was only once. I haven't really checked it since putting the CAI on cause I drive like a bat out of hell. Lead foot and everything!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I still haven't broken 290 miles on a tank. No matter how granny i drive.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
This past tankful hit 406 miles with a refill on gas of 11.88 gallons... that's approximately 34mpg Hwy/City mix (mostly highway). With an injen CAI. If you lower your driving speed to 55mph you will definately raise your mpg's.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'd get an xA before I got a prius. The prius is absolutely hideous.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by OliverThomas@Sep 5 2005, 02:29 PM
I still haven't broken 290 miles on a tank. No matter how granny i drive.
It doesn't matter how granny you drive... faster speeds = less mpg.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i think by granny he means when he speeds up he goes realllll slow...he doesnt punch it...i did the same thing for a while when SC almost ran out of gas...tried to keep it under 3000rpms

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by JustWhite@Sep 15 2005, 11:00 PM
i think by granny he means when he speeds up he goes realllll slow...he doesnt punch it...i did the same thing for a while when SC almost ran out of gas...tried to keep it under 3000rpms
exactly.

Doesn't make any sence to me that I can't break 300mpt. I don't speed that excessively, on the 2 mile stretch of highway from one exit to the next on my way to work I'll hit maybe 85ish for 10 seconds or so, but gimme a break. Closest I've gotten to 300 mpt is 280ish, and I was runnin on fumes pulling into that gas station.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
There has to be something wrong then... cause we reset our trip meter every tank.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj@Sep 17 2005, 10:19 PM
There has to be something wrong then... cause we reset our trip meter every tank.
So do I. Every tank I reset trip 1, and leave trip 2, that way when I end the tank I can subtract trip 1 from trip 2 and get the miles I went on the second to last tank... always around 270-80ish.

I'm gonna mention it next time in in the dealer, although I'm sure they'll just be as*holes and say it's because of my Injen CAI.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
How far is your typical trip? If it's less than 10 miles, you are never getting the engine fully warmed up, so you are wasting a LOT of fuel just getting up to temperature. And no, the temp gauge doesn't tell the whole story, your oil is still quite cold for at least the first 10 minutes of driving.

Wolo commutes just a few miles, and I can guarantee you, his normal mileage sucks. It wouldn't make any difference what he drove, his mileage would be bad compared to any of us whose normal trip is at least 100 miles.

If your commute is really that short, you might want to save a lot (particularly your engine life) by using some other form of transportation. The WORST thing you can do to your car is frequent short trips. When the oil never gets to full temperature, it never boils off the water that condenses inside the engine when you start it up. It sits on top of the oil and dissolves acids from the ring blowby and corrodes your engine internally.

There is NOTHING worse you can do to an engine. Fully heating the oil is really critical to engine life. All these ads you are seeing on TV about sludge build up is not because the oils are bad, it's because many people don't drive enough to get the condensates out of their oil. The condensates attack the oil and form sludge (no matter what kind of oil it is - conventional or synthetic). Sludge is engine death for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by OliverThomas+Sep 18 2005, 02:40 AM-->QUOTE (OliverThomas @ Sep 18 2005, 02:40 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-onefunkyfreshdj
@Sep 17 2005, 10:19 PM
So do I. Every tank I reset trip 1, and leave trip 2, that way when I end the tank I can subtract trip 1 from trip 2 and get the miles I went on the second to last tank... always around 270-80ish.

I'm gonna mention it next time in in the dealer, although I'm sure they'll just be as*holes and say it's because of my Injen CAI. [/b]
It can't be because of the Injen intake.... I've got one on the tC. Another thing.... my g/f drives back & forth to work almost 120 miles a day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.