Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend last night and they asked when I was getting my first oil change, and I responed, 6months/5000 miles. They asked me if I was concerned with the metal chipping that would get into my oil b/c the car is new. I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Have ya'll?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I have heard of such things and decided to get my oil changed at 1,500 miles just to be on the safe side. Plenty of people have gone to 5,000, though.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There are screens and filters in the oiling system to prevent any serious damage from this. It is entirely unnecessary to change the oil at any time before the factory recommended interval.

This is OLD school stuff because it used to be a big deal when there was a lot of wear from break-in. It just isn't true any more. The advances in materials have made this entirely a waste of good oil.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yeah, but nobody uses a 180 stone for final hone on a cylinder anymore. A good finish is 400 or better. Some of the late model bikes require a 600 grit finish. The cylinders look almost mirror finished before you put them together. There's just not a lot of wearing in going on there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! I knew ya'll had the answers!
If only you could tell me winning lotto numbers!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
We are talking about inside the cylinder walls when you hone out the engine block. There are machines that do this from the factory and such, the old school way is to use a honing tool, like the pic I included. It has sandpaper on all three of the surfaces and spins to smooth out all the sides. This is surely not precision machining, which is why it isn't done like this anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.