Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've asked this question alot, and i didnt get a response, so i started a new thread. what is the maximum amount of watts you can have for your system before you need to get a new alternator or tighten the alternator?

also, do you match your amplifier to the amount of rms or total watts of your sub?

example: if i have a 800 Watts sub/400rms do i need to get a 800 wat amp?

·
Registered
515 Posts
First the alternator question:

This really is a hard question to answer, each amp uses different amounts of power, Our cars have stock 100amp alternators, now my honda had a 90amp alternator. I can use a 1800 watt digital amp with no problems. So I think if your under 2,000 watts you should be fine. You'll see some dimming headlights and the battery or alternator might not last as long, actual it won't just because your making it work more now. Instead of lasting 10 years it might only last 5 or something crazy like that. Plus you have to remeber your amp only draws out the power it needs, your system isn't at peak power 100% of the time. Just don't play your radio with the car off and you'll be fine. I can see why your concerned my last car went through 7 alternators in 2 months (ended up being something other than my radio though just bad wiring after I drove it through a lake)

Second question

If you have a 800/400 (watt/rms) subwoofer I would suggest an 800 watt amp. (depending on the brand speaker) Some speakers you have to put a lower amp on them. If were talking MaAudio then yeah 800 watt amp for them it will be fine.

Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes thank you.

the reason i was concerned is that i am STILL looking to out a system in my car, but was worried of other things happening. its amazing the alternator would deplete so quickly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have found that driving through lakes will have a negative effect on a cars eletrical system

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey it wasn't my fault! It really wasn't a lake just the parking lot was flooded a little, and I thought I could make it, well water was rushing over the hood and I almost got stuck. Who would of thought that. 7 alternators later I got pissed and finally just bought my tC (thank god I ran through that puddle)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.