Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mat. req light came on right when i hit 5000 mi. i already had my first oil change at 3500 mi. any ideas what this could mean.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Chances are excellent that it means that the dealer did not reset the maintenance indicator when you got your oil changed. They may have done this on purpose since you're also supposed to get your tires rotated at 5,000.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
does the dealership cover the tire rotation or is it out of pocket?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this might be a stupid question but is the Mat. Req light the same as a check engin light. the reason why i ask is it was my impression if the check engin light comes on to get it to a mechanic asap.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by tfd666@Sep 27 2004, 11:52 AM
this might be a stupid question but is the Mat. Req light the same as a check engin light. the reason why i ask is it was my impression if the check engin light comes on to get it to a mechanic asap.
These are completely different. Maint Req'd is just to remind you about oil changes - nothing more. There is a way to reset it yourself.

CEL is not always a death sentence either - can be stuff like loose gas cap...

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Sep 27 2004, 08:47 AM
its set to come on at 5K.....go in and have them turn it off, not a biggie
i totally agree

in fact tfd666 you can verify this by looking in you scheduled maintenance log, on the very bottom of page 5. Note 1 says: Reset the oil replacement reminder (maint reqd) light after replacing engine oil.

TCrazy, you might know where the reset is for that. From what i understand you do this:

select odometer while the car is on.
turn off the car.
while the car is off push and hold the trip meter reset knob and while holding turn on the car.
this should reset that maint reqd light.

I just went back to our lube techs and asked them what to do and that is what they told me. give it a try and see if you can save yourself a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by moriarty+Sep 27 2004, 11:34 AM-->QUOTE (moriarty @ Sep 27 2004, 11:34 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Sep 27 2004, 08:47 AM
its set to come on at 5K.....go in and have them turn it off, not a biggie
i totally agree

in fact tfd666 you can verify this by looking in you scheduled maintenance log, on the very bottom of page 5. Note 1 says: Reset the oil replacement reminder (maint reqd) light after replacing engine oil.

TCrazy, you might know where the reset is for that. From what i understand you do this:

select odometer while the car is on.
turn off the car.
while the car is off push and hold the trip meter reset knob and while holding turn on the car.
this should reset that maint reqd light.

I just went back to our lube techs and asked them what to do and that is what they told me. give it a try and see if you can save yourself a trip to the dealership.[/b]
thanks, moriarty i'm going to try it right now....

·
Registered
936 Posts
im glad the techs remembered to reset mine......cause i had NO clue how to turn it off until Moriarty just mentioned that haha........ good post brotha. - t

·
Registered
793 Posts
My thing is....the manual says one thing about when to change your oil, but the techs automatically added 3K to my mileage when I went for my first oil change....

I'm just waiting to see whether or not they changed it but, even if they didn't...why would they set the reminder light for one mileage and tell you to come in at another?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Sep 29 2004, 08:45 AM
My thing is....the manual says one thing about when to change your oil, but the techs automatically added 3K to my mileage when I went for my first oil change....

I'm just waiting to see whether or not they changed it but, even if they didn't...why would they set the reminder light for one mileage and tell you to come in at another?

well, personally,i think the more frequenty you change the oil, the better off your engine will be. scion recommends 5000 to make it sounds like it is less maintanance needed to own your car. depending on how you drive, 5000miles is DOable.
lets say you drive 1250 miles a month, it would take you 4 months for an oil change. can you imagine how much dirt could be mixed into your oil? imagine those dirt flowing through your engine.
But of course money is a factor to most people, or should i say upfront money is important. and there is also a saying "people who tell you when you should change your oil, is probably the one you are paying" in other words they recommend 3000 so you will come in more often, which in return you pay them more often.
I change my carS every 3500 or sometimes 4000. I'm not too thrilled about 5000.
also I uses synthetic motor oil and filter hahaha...big ballin $30 for a diy but its better than paying 60 and have paper oil filter blah

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
You're wasting a lot of oil and money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lance, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on serice life of motor oil in this engine. Synthetic vs. NonSYN.

·
Registered
171 Posts
here's the thing. The OIL companys recomend changing the oil every 3000 miles. Dirt and carbon won't be flowing through the engine, that's what the oil filter is for
I've got 9000 miles on my Amsoil. they recomend changing the filter at 7500 and keeping the oil for 15k. My engine is quiet as can be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts