Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are not nearly as see-through in person as they appear in the pictures -- probably just my lack of photography skill.

Would love to hear opinions. Here goes!

New pictures added 01/24/06 (the top 5 pictures below).

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
wow, that is a fine looking grille, marty.

tell us how it came to be?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Well, I took the craftsmanship of someone more talented than I am:

Scion tC Grilles by eBay Seller vtgtp

...and I added my own artistic touch. Okay, so I just painted them glossy black. I am pretty darn pleased with the look, though.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
fair enough. looks nice, i like it. maybe somewhere down the road i will window-shop your style.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jan 5 2006, 09:55 PM
tell us how it came to be?
A Camry grille and a Celica grille got it on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I maintain that the OEM grills are fine enough. Besides, now that mine are the only OEM ones in the SE group, I am the unique one!

Looks nice Marty.

Dan

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by GA tC@Jan 6 2006, 12:08 AM
I maintain that the OEM grills are fine enough.
I'm sure you're right! I firmly believe that 90% of "customization" is finding problems that don't exist and fixing them...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sweet grille. I've been eyeballing those on eBay for a while now. My dad lives in Christiansburg, which is pretty much connected to Blacksburg, where that eBay seller is located. I think it's a professor (or maybe a student or other faculty) at VT. I was considering contacting him/her and see about a meet up and maybe haggle over the price some.

How was the install? When I looked over the instructions, I was like.. wtf! You have to drill holes, but then it's held on with zip ties. I'm sure zip ties hold it on there fine, but why you gotta drill holes? (I don't want to perforate my tC
)

Anyway... it looks great. That's the first one I've seen painted black... maybe you should send the guy some pics to use in his eBay ads.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
neo-truth, you do have to drill holes in the bumper, but they go in places that no one will ever see. Also, the bumper plastic is so thin right where you drill that the holes are easy to make. Then you run the zip ties through the hole in the bumper and through the grille, and tighten the tie.

kurker, the thing that first made me want these is that when I pictured them in my mind painted black, I thought they would look nearly identical to the RS grilles. Turns out I was right.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you gonna post sum day pics for us Marty? im seriosly thinking about doing this too on my FM but i gotta see how that black looks. ebay dude's grilles are rather slick.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wil try to take and post some daytime pics later today.

Also, I have been in touch with the guy who makes these grilles, and he is considering setting up a group buy on these grilles. I am in the process of ironing out the details with him, but in the meantime, who thinks they would be interested?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jan 5 2006, 08:27 PM
Jeff's are stock, too
As are mine

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: These grilles will apparently come in a nice black powdercoat. I am told that they will have pricing and other details set and be ready to move on these by around Wednesday.

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Grill looks awesome! I definately want a piece of the black ones. Been searching everywhere and finally, FINALLY.....

COunt me in for the group thang!

-b-

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.