Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not for what you get. There is no competition for this car in the 1/4 mile, even among the domestics.

FWIW, there is another very famous car for sale. Mani Jayasinghe's Supra is also for sale at a mere $75k. I'd link to it, but there seems to be a problem with Drift Motorsports web site.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wow, looking at that makes me want to almost cry. 0-60 in 1 second..............i cant even imagine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wait...it's a 6-Cyl? How is that possible, Lance?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Aren't all late model Supras a 3 Liter I6?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would have thought that these numbers could only be achieved with a bigger engine...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's what a lot of people think. It's pretty fun when they guy you just stomped pulls up and says something like, "What you got in there" and you say, just a 3 liter 6 cylinder. But remember, he's running 118 octane fuel and nearly 60 psi of boost. That's a LOT of boost.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wow...1 more question. Why is it automatic? I've heard before that many higher end performance cars are, but I don't quite understand why.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
But these are much more complex auto transmissions than the daily driver, right?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
He's got a TH400. It's a domestic piece, Turbo Hydramatic 400, a GM product. There are a couple of reasons they work well. You can put a high stall converter in it so you can build boost on the line before launch, and it takes the guesswork out of shifting completely. They are extremely popular for drag racing in the very quick and fast classes because they can be built very strong, and they take a lot of abuse well. It's hard to get a clutch that will take that kind of power and not have issues. If you ever watch Top Fuel or Funny Car racing, you'll see just how much effort they put into the clutches. I've heard that the reason they were able to get from 5's to 4's was entirely because they developed clutches that would work. It wasn't because they found more power.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 21 2005, 10:38 PM
He's got a TH400. It's a domestic piece, Turbo Hydramatic 400, a GM product. There are a couple of reasons they work well. You can put a high stall converter in it so you can build boost on the line before launch, and it takes the guesswork out of shifting completely. They are extremely popular for drag racing in the very quick and fast classes because they can be built very strong, and they take a lot of abuse well. It's hard to get a clutch that will take that kind of power and not have issues. If you ever watch Top Fuel or Funny Car racing, you'll see just how much effort they put into the clutches. I've heard that the reason they were able to get from 5's to 4's was entirely because they developed clutches that would work. It wasn't because they found more power.
ALSO when the automatic shifts doesnt come outta boost!

I'll hafta get picks of some supras from the dynolab where my brother works. lotta power and money up in ATL in the superclub

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yeah the basic unit is, but not a built one.

I have a few Supra friends in Atlanta. I was planning to spend some time with them on night 2 of our Road Trip to ATL, but it didn't quite work out that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.