Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to manual transmission, have had the car since Tuesday and think I have it down pretty good. Still kill it every now and again though. What are some dos and don'ts of driving a manual transmission? I want to make sure I get the most out of my engine and my gas and anything else that wouold make it fun to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want your gas & engine to last you long... and you are not racing your tc.... dont wait till your revs are all the way up to 7000 to shift.... shift like around 3000 to 4000 to make your gas last.. dont gun it too much...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by lilfreak2k@Apr 11 2005, 11:02 AM
If you want your gas & engine to last you long... and you are not racing your tc.... dont wait till your revs are all the way up to 7000 to shift.... shift like around 3000 to 4000 to make your gas last.. dont gun it too much...
That is exactly where I have been shifting. Just curious, if I were in 5th gear (or any gear for that matter), is there some sort of safety to keep me from going into reverse while I am moving forward? Is there a rev limiter on this engine so that you can't over rev it and blow the engine?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
There is safety to prevent you from easily sliding into reverse when you are going 90mph, and there is a rev limiter. But it does not mean you have to test em out 4 times a day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was just curious. Didn't plan on ever testing them out, at least not on my car. *tic*

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by w_sohl@Apr 11 2005, 11:08 AM
Just curious, if I were in 5th gear (or any gear for that matter), is there some sort of safety to keep me from going into reverse while I am moving forward?
It will break your arm if your going 40 and throw it in reverse. Thats if you can get it in reverse.

My suggestion is this, dont hold the clutch down at stops for any length of time, the clutch is to shift, the less time depressed the longer it should last.

Don t rev the engine up and throw it in gear.

Common sense. Look, manual tranny's are 100X's more fun to drive than auto's.

Just remember that there is alot of friction and one day it will need replacing, but if you dont dog it, it can last a long long time and be very enjoyable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts