Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed my transmission whines when accelerating. When I accelerate from a stop, the whining starts and gets higher pitched the faster I go. I know it's not the engine because it doesn't make that noise when I rev it in neutral. It's loudest in first but as I progress through gears it gets quieter. So in gear 6 it's very quiet but still there, not quiet as noticeable. It doesn't affect performance so I'm not too too worried yet. I have the TRD quick shifter, and everything else thing feels and sounds fine. What do you think it could be? Should I be worried? And how could I check the transmission fluid on this car? It's a 2016 tC, roughly 77k miles.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I've noticed my transmission whines when accelerating. When I accelerate from a stop, the whining starts and gets higher pitched the faster I go. I know it's not the engine because it doesn't make that noise when I rev it in neutral. It's loudest in first but as I progress through gears it gets quieter. So in gear 6 it's very quiet but still there, not quiet as noticeable. It doesn't affect performance so I'm not too too worried yet. I have the TRD quick shifter, and everything else thing feels and sounds fine. What do you think it could be? Should I be worried? And how could I check the transmission fluid on this car? It's a 2016 tC, roughly 77k miles.
Now the whine isn't ear piercing, it's noticeable if you listen. Most people wouldn't even notice it.

· Registered
2012 tC hatchback
18 Posts
I have the exact same thing with my 6 speed. Had the clutch assembly replaced but no difference in the whine. I’m looking for a reputable transmission expert for a diagnosis. I fear it’s the spline bearing from the trans going into the clutch. When I engage the clutch pedal the whine stops.

· Registered
36 Posts
Yeah can be the gears in trans-axle, but it also can be the CV- Axle joints if the bearings are bad. Check the rubber boots, are any cracked or leaking oil or grease? Do the joints have any binding if you rotate the axle or is there any loose play?... there shouldn't be.

· Registered
4 Posts
So I've noticed my transmission whines when
accelerating. When I accelerate from a stop, the whining starts and gets higher pitched the faster I go. I know it's not the engine because it doesn't make that noise when I rev it in neutral. It's loudest in first but as I progress through gears it gets quieter. So in gear 6 it's very quiet but still there, not quiet as noticeable. It doesn't affect performance so I'm not too too worried yet. I have the TRD quick shifter, and everything else thing feels and sounds fine. What do you think it could be? Should I be worried? And how could I check the transmission fluid on this car? It's a 2016 tC, roughly 77k miles.

· Registered
50 Posts
We may deal with the same issue on my friend's new 2017 Scion TC project. It got 80k miles on the clock and the previous owner mentioned it could be the wheel bearing. We'll take a closer look at it this week after finish installing the rotors and vision wheels on the Ram and clear the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts