Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NYC and bumper to bumper traffic is a daily occurance. Would getting a Manual transmission over a Automatic transmission for the tC preferable?

Just needed everyones opinion.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey dude, I'm in the NY (long island) area as well, I commute daily in traffic and I have manual. I've had the car since august, now have over 10K miles and I'm still lovin the fun of the manual. Check out the other discussions on the transmission preferences of others. There are a few polls on here too, check em out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My personal preference is manual, however, after years of driving stick, I decided to hang my manual jersey up for retirement.
My scion is auto, I just want to enjoy the drive, even though manual is 2nd nature to me, I still just wanted to cruise it. I like the automatic...I told myself back then that if I ever drove automatic, it has to have some power behind it, and my scion fits the criteria. I live in southern california and bumper-to-bumper traffic is an everyday occurrance as well, so that was another incentive for me to get an automatic.
I guess it's all preference because some people like to really take each gear to redline and i guess "race". But those days for me are over.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the automatic and times I wish I bought the manual. Then I get in one of those nice bumper to bumper creep and stop, creep and stop...jams and then I remember that I have been shoving the clutch pedal in on every car I have had since 1974..then I smile and the decision all comes back to me. That said, if I had not been driving a manual for 30+ years..I would have gotten the manual.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't regret it, and I never have, but I can see why people who deal with that rat race everyday would want to reduce the stress factor anyway they can. Besides, I can drive either one any day; it's nice to have choices.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How streesful is it on a cold weather with snow and slippery road with manual? I'm only afraid of driving a manual in a hill with a wet or frozen asphalt... anyone have any experience in a cold environment?... east coast?

·
Registered
32 Posts
MT ownz! All coupes should be MT! My tC is in MT, and I bought a xA for my daily drives and thats in AUTO, so traffic is not an issue. Thats my 2 cents. You gonna get a coupe do it the right way

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
That is true about pretty much every car except for those that are offered only in manual (e.g., true sportscars), since most people drive automatics.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
True manuals are dying breed even in sportscars. With the advent of SMG gearboxes, the art of manual clutching will soon be extinct. Even Mercedes trucks have gone to computer controlled clutches to extend clutch and gearbox service live (really dramatically too).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Here's what the trucking industry is doing to manual shifting:

The "shift-by-wire" technology of AutoShift transmissions offers medium- and heavy-duty customers the convenience of automatic shifting, with the durability and efficiency of a manual transmission, Foppema said. Manual lever shifts are eliminated. The clutch is required only when starting or stopping the vehicle. Once the truck is in motion, shifting is fully automatic.

The reduced physical and mental workload offered by AutoShift has been proven to reduce driver fatigue for safer vehicle operation. Meanwhile, computer-controlled shifting optimizes vehicle performance and fuel economy.

With AutoShift, electronic controls and electromechanical actuators take the place of the manual shift lever. Sophisticated, proprietary software algorithms allow AutoShift to function like an expert driver to make smooth and accurate shifts. AutoShift's on-board computer monitors vehicle speed, engine speed, throttle input, and initiates shifts automatically at the appropriate shift points to maximize vehicle efficiency and performance.[/b]
They also have programs that will slip the clutch automatically without burning it up. Very impressive stuff. Once this trickles down to cars, the manually operated clutch is history.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.