Scion tC Forums banner

"Maintenance Reqired" warning light

21K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  neuromonic 
#1 ·
I've got just over 4,500 miles on my car, and the "mainetnance required" just started flashing, like 5 or 10 times, just after start up. The manual just says that this means to change the oil. My question is, is this just a preprogrammed reminder that the 5K service is approaching, or is my car actually detecting that there is a problem? I'm assuming it's just an early reminder, but my car burned almost a quart of oil in the first 3K miles, so I'm worrying that there is a problem (though it has maintained it's oil level since I topped off at 3K).

#2 ·
It is not a warning of anything but approaching the specified oil change mileage.

#3 ·
It's preprogrammed. If it was anything serious, your Check Engine light would show.

#4 ·
Originally posted by krdshrk@Jan 9 2006, 02:08 PM
...If it was anything serious, your Check Engine light would show.
Or the car would blow up.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Plissken@Jan 9 2006, 10:12 PM
QUOTE (krdshrk @ Jan 9 2006, 02:08 PM)
...If it was anything serious, your Check Engine light would show. 

Or the car would blow up.
[/b][/quote]
hahaha thats very true. dont worry im at 4800miles and mines flashing too its preprogrammed to do that when you hit 4500miles its just to let you know that it is time for an oil change, and i have changed mine already at 3000miles. so im not going for my next free oil change til 6000miles.

#6 ·
They should have reset the mileage meter for you when you did it at 3k miles.

#7 ·
Originally posted by krdshrk@Feb 1 2006, 01:55 PM
They should have reset the mileage meter for you when you did it at 3k miles.
My dealer has never done this. Ever.

But I hate them anyway, so it's okay (or something).

-Ed

#10 ·
It's all at the Scion tC FAQ Site!

How do i clear the 'maintenance required'/oil change light using the trip meter button?
if at the time you changed your oil, you or the person changing your oil did not reset the 'maintanence reqiured'/oil change light or if you would just rather turn it off instead of setting the interval (aka- the lazy way to turn off that annoying light), follow these steps:

step 1 turn the key to the 'on' position.
step 2 reset both trip meters to zero. you can reset the trip meters to zero by selecting trip a or trip b and holding in the trip meter button for five (5) seconds.
step 3 after both trip meters are reset, select any trip meter and hold in the trip meter button and start the car.

step 4 continue holding the trip meter button until the "maintenance required' light disappears.

----------------------------------------------

how do i reset and/or specify the interval for the 'maintenance required'/oil change light using the trip meter button?
the tC's ecu (computer) memorizes the distance your car has traveled. scion recommends that you change your oil every 5,000 miles. when your car exceeds 4,500 miles, the ecu will flash the maintenance required light for 12 seconds after turning the key to 'on'. if it exceeds 5,000 miles, then the ecu keeps the maintenance required light on until it is reset. so, how do you reset it? follow these steps (this procedure is also listed in the tC owner's manual, pg. 96):

step 1 turn the key to the 'on' position. using the trip meter button, toggle the lcd until 'ODO' is displayed.
step 2 turn the key off. now, push and hold the trip meter button. while holding the trip meter button, turn the key to 'on'.
step 3 while you continue to hold the trip meter button, you will see on the lcd disply five (5) small dashes and they will begin to 'count down' rather quickly.

step 4 continue holding the trip meter button and once all the dashes have been cleared, your lcd will display six zeros (000000) - release the trip meter button now - and then the lcd will display 'ODO' and your current mileage. at this time, your 'maintenance required'/oil change light has been reset.
*note* each dash represents 1,000 miles. if you like to change your oil every 3,000 miles for example, release the trip meter button when only two (2) dashes remain. that way, you will get the reminder light at the next 3,000 mile mark instead of 5,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.