Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have had problems with other bulbs, but i thought the Luminics were fine. However, read on:

I had hyperwhites installed for my low beams and highs. I do enough nite driving where my headlights are on for 2 hours at a time (long ass commute). Turns out, the luminics completely melted my drivers side low beam socket. The passenger side wasn't as bad, but it burnt the metal connectors where the bulb assembly pins insert into the socket. Brought my car to the dealer... the service tech thought he could just order 2 new sockets, like they can for the camry (around $80 each). Turns out that Toyota doesn't make just the sockets for the tC... you gotta buy the entire wiring harness. Would you believe it costs around $1,300.00 for 1 harness! Seriously. My passenger side low is still working... drivers side is complete mush. I'm not paying $1,300.00 to get this fixed, but i don't wanna be driving around with 1 headlight either. Just wanted to warn you guys with the Luminics... it may be ok if you don't leave your lights on for long, but if you do a lot of nite driving, be careful.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow! Have you contacted Luminics about this?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
isn't your fuse there to stop this from happening?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I've read through the various Lumincs forums on different sites. SL has a good long one about that. You should buy the upgraded wiring harness that they offer as well. Luminics Direct has them. The stock wiring harnesses aren't built to carry amount of juice that these bulbs put out.

This is why I went to a drop-in HID kit - Draws less wattage (35W Bulbs compared to 55W that lumincs are).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Dec 2 2005, 08:49 PM
I've read through the various Lumincs forums on different sites. SL has a good long one about that. You should buy the upgraded wiring harness that they offer as well. Luminics Direct has them. The stock wiring harnesses aren't built to carry amount of juice that these bulbs put out.

This is why I went to a drop-in HID kit - Draws less wattage (35W Bulbs compared to 55W that lumincs are).
how is the drop in kit? i've read that they take the same pattern as the stock bulbs since it uses the relfectors in the housing.. but every drop in kit i've ever seen are just blinding beyond belief.. any pics/input on how the beam is?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
No prob. I just didn't want to hijack someone's thread.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Everything that I've read on SL says to get the upgraded harnesses. If I had bought lumincs i would have just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I am running luminics right now and my harnesses are holding up good.. I have the white ones though not the blues or anything

although soon I am getting HID light

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The only problems I've had with the Luminics bulbs are:

1. They are dangerously dim.
2. They may have partially melted one of my parking light bulbs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i know some dont like the silverstars but those are 55w as well.... does anyone think that you should get the upgraded harness for those as well?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Dec 4 2005, 12:28 PM
-goes to check if mine are melted-
lol, i just got mine 2 weeks ago....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Um, yea my right headlight was giong of and on, just changed back to oem bulbs and took it to the dealer, looked at the luminics and they are all melted, the harnesses were too, but the stock bulbs worked fine. dont know what to expect out of this one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
luminics needs to update their website. I guess they haven't had the UV bulbs now or won't for awhile. Yet they sell them on the web site. Anyway I had to change my order when I was expecting them today. So, I called the guy asking about the wiring harness. He said they don't normally recommend the upgraded harness except.......... yeah you know only for the scion tc would they recommend the upgraded harness. now I'm wondering because the luminics website doesn't have the harness for sale, but luminics direct does. Then the rep tried to tell me Luminics direct is 2 guys working from home. It all seems weird and confusing.ANYway though I just think it's bad business selling products that the manufacture knows will damage your car and not to have a disclaimer on your web site. Secondly why would you want these guys as a sponsor if the lights have a major potential to ruin your ride?? It went from buying 25$ bulbs (which is not a bad deal) now to oh I also have to buy a upgraded harness? The only way I found out about the risk is through this web site (two thumbs up) but it was not mentioned on the manufactures??. Now I'm not sure if it's really worth it to go through all the what if's. So if you buy the bulbs from luminics for your low beam they will recommend that you buy the wiring harness. I also asked if you had to do the same for the fog lights because it's the same bulb he said no, only for low beams.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.