Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since horsepower doesn't matter until it's all to the ground it's time to consider a limited slip. Does the whole engine need to come out or can just the tranny just come out of the bottom side? I've done a lot of other mechanical work but going into the transmission on my baby seems a little daunting. Quaife e-mailed me and told me that although the tC diff is similiar to the MR2 they had to change some things they are working on a ATB for the tC. I've looked at the Phantom Grip but something just doesn't set well for me and this device. Anyone know of a top notch shop for an install in Reno, Boise or Salt Lake?
I'm in the middle
of all three.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It is a great deal of work just to remove and reinstall the tranny, I have done three or four Matrix units which are close to the same.

Then it has to be torn down, gear pullers involved, input and output gear stacks removed, just to get to the differential.

The Phantom Grip is a fine unit if installed correctly, which is really easy to do once everything is apart. We are doing about every rear performance upgrade to our tC as possible and have chosen the PG because of excellent prior experience in our turbo Matrix SCCA SM class autocross car that saw extreme use with race tires, ran alot of events as well, worked just fine.

You do have to tell them if you want it for a turbo car or NA, if high boost tell them that as well.

If you call them Janice will normally answer, they are very busy and have a small staff so it may take a few times to get through, she is really cool and will help you out. Just make sure you tell them Rick McCallum of RAAMaudio recommended you;) (My old Matrix is on their site:)

If you pull the tranny and put it back in yourself you can save a great deal of the expense of doing this project, enoughh to buy a new clutch and possibly flywheel if you so desire.

While it is apart get some Flexane 80 and pour your front and rear motor mounts full of it, no more wheel hop.

Rick

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you pull the tranny and put it back in yourself you can save a great deal of the expense of doing this project, enoughh to buy a new clutch and possibly flywheel if you so desire.

While it is apart get some Flexane 80 and pour your front and rear motor mounts full of it, no more wheel hop.[/b]
excellent advice...while you are in there, get yourself an appropriate clutch (idk what ur power goals are) and a lighter flywheel.... def do the motor mounts, nice cheap solution. do it all at once and enjoy the difference afterwards. might as well fill up the tranny with some good redline or synchromesh synthetic trans oil....just make sure its compatible with whatever lsd choice you go with

speaking of that raamaudio...does the phantom grip even require a lsd gear oil?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I did not mean to get into a big sales pitch on the PG unit, just been really happy with the ones have used and they are very low in cost.

The money you save on at least pulling the tranny and reinstalling it yourself and the lower cost of the LSD unit will more than pay for a new clutch, PP and flywheel:)

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not to mention the money you save by not buying a Quaife LSD. Imagine spending 10% of the cost of the car on just the spool. As much as I hate the open diff in this car, it doesn't annoy me so much that I would go to all the time and hassle of installing a $1600 spool in a vehicle I don't use to compete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.