Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the height of the car adjustable when using the lowering springs or is it all or nothing. I live/work/play in Boston, (there are 2 types of roads in Mass. inadequate and under construction) so lowering the car to far would not be a good thing, and the ground effects are out of the question. But I would like to see the gap between the tires and the car a little smaller. Any suggestions on how to lower it just a little…(how many inches dose the springs lower the car?)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
TRD springs lower the car 1.25", which adds to looks and handling and does not make it a scraping hazard. Go for it

·
Registered
936 Posts
TFD, the height of the springs is set to 1.25 and you can not adjust that. I was in Boston yesterday putzin' around........youre going to run into problems with the srpings, just a hunch:) - t

·
Registered
936 Posts
TFD.......I think i edited your post by accident. Either way, the only reccomendation I have for you is to get the springs, and just be really careful! - t

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those of you folks in the Boston area, did you get springs installed by a dealer? If so, how much did they charge? I think the dealer where I bought my Tc is charging almost $600--I like the look of the springs, but I don't like it that much. Maybe I should just get bigger rims. I have a friend who is a mechanic who could install them, but I'm just way paranoid about warranty issues. I've never had a new car of my own, so I don't want to start screwing things up from the get go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn’t getting new rims, even with free installation be a lot more expensive than the springs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, I'm just factoring in the concerns about scraping along with the cost of dealer installation as well. I'm wondering if I could just get the same effect (minimizing the wheel well gap) with larger rims (and get to pick out something cool) without risking scraping.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about whether that would really do anything at all. I have no idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see, personally I would go with the rims if I could afford it. In my unprofessional opinion you would be less likely to scrape if you had bigger rims because the car is not actually getting closer to the ground, like it would if you had the springs. Plus like you said you get to pick out somthing you like.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I think the 18" rims are awesome and would be perfect for filling that wheel well gap (which I don't even think is that big). I'm in NY and commute to work over some pretty crappy roads, so the lowering springs and ground effects are a no-no. To me, the 17's are perfect and look great, and I don't really notice much of a gap. If you've got the cash, go for the 18's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The funny thing is--it never occurred to me to notice the wheel gap before it was pointed out on the boards, and I looked at before and after pictures obsessively. I didn't even know what lowering springs were. In my weeks on these boards, I've learned more about random car things than I have in my entire life, even after living with a mechanic for years (actively ignoring all car talk). I guess I'll have to see how I like it stock, and go from there.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Sep 2 2004, 11:01 AM
I think the 18" rims are awesome and would be perfect for filling that wheel well gap
Why, why do people always say that bigger wheels fill the wheel gap or bigger wheels rub? 17" or 19" - the overall diamater of the wheel with tire is the same - so no better wheel gap filling for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by zoltiz+Sep 2 2004, 11:15 AM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Sep 2 2004, 11:15 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-whosthatrussian
@Sep 2 2004, 11:01 AM
I think the 18" rims are awesome and would be perfect for filling that wheel well gap
Why, why do people always say that bigger wheels fill the wheel gap or bigger wheels rub? 17" or 19" - the overall diamater of the wheel with tire is the same - so no better wheel gap filling for you.[/b]
you mean that the overall size of a 18 or 19" tire and rim set up take up no more room or fill up no more space than a 17" set up. So the only way to fill that gap is springs or some kind of body kit ?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by tfd666+Sep 2 2004, 11:25 AM-->QUOTE (tfd666 @ Sep 2 2004, 11:25 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 11:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-whosthatrussian
@Sep 2 2004, 11:01 AM

Why, why do people always say that bigger wheels fill the wheel gap or bigger wheels rub? 17" or 19" - the overall diamater of the wheel with tire is the same - so no better wheel gap filling for you.
you mean that the overall size of a 18 or 19" tire and rim set up take up no more room or fill up no more space than a 17" set up. So the only way to fill that gap is springs or some kind of body kit ?
[/b]
Or bigger tire size. For example with our 17" wheels if you go 215/50/17 rubber you will shave another 1/2" of the gap, which with springs would be sweet. It will affect speedo reading by about 2mph.

Same with 18" or 19" - it all depends on rubber that you choose. Gap does not change because of rim diameter - it changes when you change the total diameter of the wheel (rim plus rubber). You can put a wrong rubber on 18" (smth like 215/35/18) and it will make your wheels look even smaller - I saw people do that - funny as hell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most people will go with a larger rim, 18'' or 19'', for ascetic look. More rim/metal appears to shrink the wheel gap because it will contrast against the vehicle appearing to fit the car in a more pleasing way. On the other side, a smaller rim like the 17'' with more of a tire/black rubber, even though the oversize in diameter will be the same as an 18'' or 19'', will appear smaller and have a large gap due to the black tire blending into the wheel well.

The comment by Zoltiz, "You can put a wrong rubber on 18" (smth like 215/35/18) and it will make your wheels look even smaller - I saw people do that - funny as hell." is a perfect example of confusing the mind when it comes to appeared. Springs are the choice for me due to cost and the roads in CA are not as rough.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i have a question. i have 215/45R/17 on my custom wheels. the spokes on the wheels don't touch the edge of the rim, meaning the rims have a lip on it. sometimes i would look at them and think that they looked a bit small for 17" and that was when they were on my corolla. now they are on my tc and they look even smaller at times. i know rims with lips look small naturally becasue of the indent effect. is there a better tire size for me to use to make the actual wheels look bigger? my tc is not lowered so will changing to a smaller tire size make the wheels look bigger but make the gap in the wheel well look bigger too?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts