Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing some 19's on my girlfriends TC and need to know how the low tire indicator works on this car. Is there a sensor that I need to buy that goes in the wheel? On my Dodge Magnum they are in the wheel built into the valve stem. What have most of you that put custom wheels on had to do? Does anyone know the part number, because most of the parts guys at the dealer as not the brightest.

Thanks for any input.

Brian

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
No aparently the pressure sensor is not in the tire or the rim it is measured by suspension if I am not mistaken so you can change whatever you like and it will not matter, it will still work the same with 19s on it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...topic=443&st=15

The above link will give you an idea why pressure sensors in a aftermarket wheel are not needed and there are none in your stock wheels as well. It works by rotating speed of each tire relative to the other tires and does not really measure pressure directly from each tire. It is lower cost and lower hassle than a sensor in each wheel....may not be as good either but it is better than nothing and it does work...

I assume that it is using wheel speed sensors already used for ABS.....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'll verify that it works. I ran over a screw and never would have known if not for the TPWS. Very handy to have.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Geneo@May 12 2005, 02:44 PM
It works by rotating speed of each tire relative to the other tires and does not really measure pressure directly from each tire. It is lower cost and lower hassle than a sensor in each wheel....may not be as good either but it is better than nothing and it does work...

I assume that it is using wheel speed sensors already used for ABS.....
You are correct sir! This system is the least precise, but also the least expensive. Due to the way it measures, it pretty well sucks. If you had a semi-rapid loss of air, your first indication at hwy speeds would be loss of control. None-the-less, it is better than none at all.

OTOH, you can change rims willy-nilly w/o any concerns what-so-ever.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.