Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yea, just got my 07 3.0 two months ago (auto, 86K). First things I noticed was the oil looked dark so I decided to change the oil. It was weird because the guy at the used car lot said they change the oil first thing on every car they get in. I thought he was full of sh!t so i changed it anyways because it looked bad. Now just hit about 4200 miles on the oil change and I had to stop sorta hard, and I noticed the oil light flicker on for a split second... I was like :confused:.

I'm running 0w20 as per the owners manual (mobile 1 full syth), maybe gonna change the oil this weekend and switch to 5w20. Any one know of any issues with fast oil consumption on these 2.4L motors? I know my 1.8L MR2 had known issues like this, but never heard of one for the scions.

Going to put a quart in at lunch, and pull the plugs tonight to see if there is any oil on them, I did already do a tune up when I got the car and the plugs looks normal just very old.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Checked it, its about 1.5 quarts low, and the oil in there is pretty much black. Going to have to see if the plugs are bad tonight, As I dont see oil leaked onto any drive way I ever go to.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've heard the 2AZFE can eat a bit..mine was about .5 Lew within 5k...not sure what to say. What plugs would you recommend replacing ours with?

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
The longer you go on an oil change the faster it will burn as well.

This is a car you'll want to check your oil every other gas fillup with.

I've only had my oil light go off once. And I was ridiculously low. Not fun.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
You should check your oil on all cars regularly :) All cars burn some amount of oil, even brand new. Plus, you dont know if something has gone wrong since you last checked it, so you should always make practice of checking on a regular basis.

To the OP: Dark colored oil means nothing. I can change mine today (with Royal Purple) and it will be black tomorrow. As long as it is not sludged up, milky looking, etc then the dark color is not a concern.

If it burned through 1.5 quarts in few days, it will be smoking or leaking. Did you check the level before adding oil the last time? Be sure you check it this time before just adding a quart. If the level looks good and the light is coming on, then you likely have an oil pressure problem that you need to look into.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard the 2AZFE can eat a bit..mine was about .5 Lew within 5k...not sure what to say. What plugs would you recommend replacing ours with?
I went with Denso toyota replacement plugs, Always tend to use Denso OEM parts with my vehicles (which are always toyotas)

The longer you go on an oil change the faster it will burn as well.

This is a car you'll want to check your oil every other gas fillup with.

I've only had my oil light go off once. And I was ridiculously low. Not fun.
Yea, I know they burn a little but I didn't think 1.5 quarts in 4K is acceptable. Then again, it was my first time changing the oil and I might have put 0.5 quart too little in, so thats possible. Going to go with 5w20 this time and watch it every other week which is about 500 miles and see how it goes.

You should check your oil on all cars regularly :) All cars burn some amount of oil, even brand new. Plus, you dont know if something has gone wrong since you last checked it, so you should always make practice of checking on a regular basis.

To the OP: Dark colored oil means nothing. I can change mine today (with Royal Purple) and it will be black tomorrow. As long as it is not sludged up, milky looking, etc then the dark color is not a concern.

If it burned through 1.5 quarts in few days, it will be smoking or leaking. Did you check the level before adding oil the last time? Be sure you check it this time before just adding a quart. If the level looks good and the light is coming on, then you likely have an oil pressure problem that you need to look into.
yea, on my turbo cars it takes 20 miles before any oil basically gets toasted to a dark brown color, but NA cars shouldn't get that hot that quick. My tacoma running AMSOIL looks light brown after 1K all the time :D. but yea, I think the color at 4K on my TC is normal, I agree. I think the flicking was just the low oil and me slowing down fast. basically the oil slides to one side of the pan, and the oil sensor reads it as low for a split second.:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't have time to look at it this weekend, too busy with parts and bitches :D. But should be able to look at the plugs tonight or this week and see how they look.

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
Yeah let us know how the heavier weight oil goes. 1 - 1.5qt/4000mi sounds pretty fine to me, actually haha. Or rather, normal for me.

So I was thinking heavier oil might help with that--as well as cut the valve ticking noise down a bit.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Pretty sure that car does not have an oil level sensor (only an oil pressure sensor). If the light is flickering, your oil pressure is already low. So it is flickering because the oil sloshed away from the pickup and the oil pressure is dropping as a result. AKA by the time you see the light, you are already doing damage. That is why I hate that all cars do not have an oil pressure gauge rather than simply having a dummy light.

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
Pretty sure that car does not have an oil level sensor (only an oil pressure sensor). If the light is flickering, your oil pressure is already low. So it is flickering because the oil sloshed away from the pickup and the oil pressure is dropping as a result. AKA by the time you see the light, you are already doing damage. That is why I hate that all cars do not have an oil pressure gauge rather than simply having a dummy light.
Yeah this is correct. We don't have a "low oil" light. So when your Oil Pressure light goes on it means "wtf why did you ever let your car get so low on oil are you dumb"

·
Registered
101 Posts
the oil cap of my 05' says to use 5W-30, so that's what i've been throwing in. i don't like the idea of using 0W-20 oil... even 5W-20 seems too light to me. i know it's supposed to be "economical" for the engine, but it can seep through seals and rings easier, which may account for an increase in consumption on an aging engine.

i was running a treatment of auto-rx through my crankcase for 3k miles and noticed a significant drop in oil levels during this cleaning phase. within those 3k miles, I added about 2.5 quarts of oil to keep it topped up. this was due (so I've read) to the fact that as the auto-rx does its job of cleaning the internals, their is an increase in blow-by as rings and seals don't fully seat while things are becoming cleaner.

the oil that came out after 3k miles was some pretty nasty stuff and so far, since changing the oil and filter, there hasn't been any further issue with abnormal consumption.

if you don't find any issues when inspecting the plugs, and you continue to not find any leaks or get any smoke coming from the exhaust, then I'd say to maybe try the originally spec'd oil weight of 5W-30.

if you haven't given your engine a good cleaning lately, then now's the time to do it. it will help you greatly in finding small oil leaks/weeps when you can tell what is clean and what has had some fresh oil deposited onto it. pcv and valve cover gaskets are common culprits in situations like this. oil weeps out so slowly that it doesn't make it to the point of dripping down before it's cooked and gunked around other engine parts.

oh, and as far as plugs go... oem is always a good bet, but I've been a huge fan of ngk plugs. i put them in every car i've owned, and plan to throw in the same type of ngk iridium ix plugs i used in my previous car. i've never had to gap them, and i've never had an issue with a set.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
NGK plugs are great. I would argue in this case that OEM is probably a tad better (Denso), but I replaced mine with NGK when it was time. Just keep in mind that the stocks are iridium and do not need replacing at 30k or so like other plugs do. I checked mine along the way and changed them at about 80k. Could have gone longer, but I was already doing some other stuff and did it then.

With that being said, I have heard that at times, Toyota will use NGK stock in place of Denso. Both are both quality plugs and will suit you well.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
if my memory serves me right, iGod was saying that flickering Low oil light was a signal for "buy me a new engine".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah let us know how the heavier weight oil goes. 1 - 1.5qt/4000mi sounds pretty fine to me, actually haha. Or rather, normal for me.

So I was thinking heavier oil might help with that--as well as cut the valve ticking noise down a bit.
Well it seems I might have been about 3/4's to 1 quart low from the get go when I changed the oil back in june. This time, I used mobile 1 0w-20 syth designed for better fuel economy. I filled her up to about 3.5 quarts, then it looked full on the dip stick. then started it up, ran it for a second then shut it off. check the stick, it was about half a quart low, so filled up again to the F line and ran it, looks to be full now.

About to hit 2000 miles on the oil, i'll check it this weekend and see if i'm down 0.5-1 quart and add accordingly. As long as i know at what rate i'm burning this stuff, I can keep up on it. Sorry for the long delay, was dealing with school and front brake issues. Got some EBC red stuff up from, OMG 10x Better braking!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the oil cap of my 05' says to use 5W-30, so that's what i've been throwing in. i don't like the idea of using 0W-20 oil... even 5W-20 seems too light to me. i know it's supposed to be "economical" for the engine, but it can seep through seals and rings easier, which may account for an increase in consumption on an aging engine.

i was running a treatment of auto-rx through my crankcase for 3k miles and noticed a significant drop in oil levels during this cleaning phase. within those 3k miles, I added about 2.5 quarts of oil to keep it topped up. this was due (so I've read) to the fact that as the auto-rx does its job of cleaning the internals, their is an increase in blow-by as rings and seals don't fully seat while things are becoming cleaner.

the oil that came out after 3k miles was some pretty nasty stuff and so far, since changing the oil and filter, there hasn't been any further issue with abnormal consumption.

if you don't find any issues when inspecting the plugs, and you continue to not find any leaks or get any smoke coming from the exhaust, then I'd say to maybe try the originally spec'd oil weight of 5W-30.

if you haven't given your engine a good cleaning lately, then now's the time to do it. it will help you greatly in finding small oil leaks/weeps when you can tell what is clean and what has had some fresh oil deposited onto it. pcv and valve cover gaskets are common culprits in situations like this. oil weeps out so slowly that it doesn't make it to the point of dripping down before it's cooked and gunked around other engine parts.

oh, and as far as plugs go... oem is always a good bet, but I've been a huge fan of ngk plugs. i put them in every car i've owned, and plan to throw in the same type of ngk iridium ix plugs i used in my previous car. i've never had to gap them, and i've never had an issue with a set.
Yea, I haven't looked at the plugs, and I should be able to this weekend. I did run some Sea foam through the intake and threw the rest in the gas tank. Not much smoke came out when running it through the manifold. I was shocked considering the car had about 90K miles on it at that time.

Never heard of Auto-rx, where do you pick it up from?

NGK plugs are great. I would argue in this case that OEM is probably a tad better (Denso), but I replaced mine with NGK when it was time. Just keep in mind that the stocks are iridium and do not need replacing at 30k or so like other plugs do. I checked mine along the way and changed them at about 80k. Could have gone longer, but I was already doing some other stuff and did it then.

With that being said, I have heard that at times, Toyota will use NGK stock in place of Denso. Both are both quality plugs and will suit you well.
Agreed, i've run Denso in most of my toyota's, and ngk in friends cars/trucks, and in my yamaha R6, both good quality and no issues.

if my memory serves me right, iGod was saying that flickering Low oil light was a signal for "buy me a new engine".
HAHA :eek: I hope not.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
iGods comment from way back is dead on. That is why I hate oil lights. By the time they come on you are dangerously low on oil, especially on a big leak at high rpm where pressure may be so so but volume is trailing off.

I had an old cavalier back in the day. Lost a front main seal on the highway running 75mph. I shut it down and pulled over when the oil light started to flicker ... it was 3 quarts low by then.

A pressure gauge is a much better indicator, but most cars dont have them unfortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
iGods comment from way back is dead on. That is why I hate oil lights. By the time they come on you are dangerously low on oil, especially on a big leak at high rpm where pressure may be so so but volume is trailing off.

I had an old cavalier back in the day. Lost a front main seal on the highway running 75mph. I shut it down and pulled over when the oil light started to flicker ... it was 3 quarts low by then.

A pressure gauge is a much better indicator, but most cars dont have them unfortunately.
what happened ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts