Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 5 speed tc has about 4000 miles and im just starting to drive it to its full extent if you know what i mean. several times when i bring first gear to about 5 grand and then slam it into second the wheels chirp and i get this loud banging noise. I dont always hear it, only 3 times so far. This is my first stick car and im just starting to beat on it. Has anyone else encountered this.

thank you

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yah ive noticed it as well..im guessing because the engine is such at a high RPM, the gear gets thrown into second because of the torque? iuno i have no idea, it only happens at higher RPM's is all i know..maybe lo bux or somebody else can clarify this..(i hope its not a defect with the tranny)

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The second gear synchro is having trouble at high rpm. It's pretty common. Second is the second heaviest gear in the gearbox, so it takes more force to get it synchronized with the shaft speed.

If you plan on speed shifting, you should invest in better gearbox oil, like Red Line MTL. It will help the synchros do their job and shift better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It could also be the torque of the motor moving when you hit 2nd. This is due to the hollow motor mounts, that can be fixed with a engine damper. It could be the wheel-hop too, witch is not good on the mounts.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yeah, after re-reading the symptoms, 1sikTC sounds right. If it was the gearbox, it would be before the chirp, but if the bang is after the chirp, it's wheel hop.

Click here for the explanation of wheel hop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Will stiffer (Rear) springs help him out here? From my understanding the weight transfer to the rear of the car compressing the rear springs is what causes the wheelhop right? Will the TRD spring/damper combo help significantly?

I really think im gonna install them just for kicks.. never lowered any of my vehicles

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not likely. There are lots of other things up front to address before swapping springs in the rear is going to help. Plenty of soft pieces in the engine mounting and driveline shock absorbing department to stiffen up before playing with rear spring rates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wanted to step in here because I've noticed the problem in my car as well. A hard shift from first to second caused it, but also it happened to me the other day when I took a corner hard. I wasn't shifting, but I wasn't getting traction either and it was a sharp corner. It doesn't quite seem to be the same as wheel hop. It almost sounds like a bad motor or tranny mount, but I don't see that being very possible. I'm at 7k and it's happened 3 times so far.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You might be lifting the inside wheel and getting the open diff to freewheel. I've noticed that more than a few times since I put real tires under the car.

·
Registered
742 Posts
There is only one real cure if you ever build decent power, for stock you can try a torque damper and they are ok up to a point.

What I am doing to our car and did to our 250WHP on DOT race tires Matrix was fill the engine mounts with two part eurathane since nobody made insterts at the time.

Another option is it use window sealer, what they use to mount windows to cars, a tube is around $12 or so. A bit of work, have to take out the front and rear mounts, tape up one side and fill it up, use something to work out any gaps, bubbles, etc.

I prefer the eurathane but it cost more like $30 and has to set over night but is very firm, it will do the job, I know, I have a new kit here, just waiting for our flywheel and clutch to arrive to do it all at once.

I agree with Lance, better tranny lube is a must as well.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.