Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post on this forum. I just sold my 01 ford focus zx3 and bought an 06 scion tC.

Neway what I am looking to find out if anyone knows a wheel that is a 17" but is at least a 8.5" wide that will fit the tC as far as offset goes. Im guessing around a +40 or so offset would work with that size. I am looking for a light, wide, wheel to run Falken azenis rt-615's on.

Also Im sure there is something if I do a search but what is the width of hte stock 17? Im guessing its 7" by the size of the tire.

Thanks!
~coneklr

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by coneklr@Aug 8 2005, 08:38 PM
Also Im sure there is something if I do a search...
So do it. Oh and welcome.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by coneklr@Aug 8 2005, 09:38 PM
Hey guys this is my first post on this forum. I just sold my 01 ford focus zx3 and bought an 06 scion tC.
I'm just curious, but when you were driving the Focus, did you find that ladies were constantly staring at you? And did you feel like you were the envy of the industryyyyyyyyyy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Plissken+Aug 8 2005, 06:50 PM-->QUOTE (Plissken @ Aug 8 2005, 06:50 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-coneklr
@Aug 8 2005, 08:38 PM
Also Im sure there is something if I do a search...
So do it. Oh and welcome. [/b]
Actually I did do a search and just got posts on people wanting 20's on their tC's.
I guess I worded my original post wrong. I did some searches and didnt get the info I was looking for.

The only rims that I have seen in that exact size are the TE-37's which are to rich for my blood. lo bux good link on the 5zigens those are a little better priced.

Basilisk...what is your point? I dont drive my car to be envied...I drive my car because I have to get places... or if I have to kill cones.

Tire rack makes you search by car and it wont list anything over 7.5" wide in a 17" for the tC. Plus tire rack has a tendency to argue with you whether things will work or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im actually just got to thinking that there might be something in a VW application that might be the right size. Some newer VW's are 5x100 and I bet there is a euro company that might make a good fit. Like brock or Kerscher.

Im just worried about getting the offset, and tire size right the first time with a wide 17". I thought maybe someone on here was running a similar setup and just hadnt really spoken up about it.

~coneklr

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You didn't read the links. I have 17 x 8.5 with 245/40/17s on my car. Offset is +48, and about as close as you're going to get without rolling the fender. And I couldn't care less about 18"+ diameter wheels, the rubber's not that good (not enough development time yet) and it's way more expensive. Much better tire selection in 17".

Look for pre 2005 WRX wheels. They seem to fit nicely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I did read it, I was just saying in my last post that, that was the reason I posted this topic. To find out what other people had experienced. If that makes sense lol.

So you think +48 on a 8.5 rim will be best huh...Im going to look into some older wrx fitment wheels. Im thinking maybe work makes something in that size.

18's a tC=slower lol

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Originally posted by coneklr@Aug 10 2005, 08:52 AM
No I did read it, I was just saying in my last post that, that was the reason I posted this topic. To find out what other people had experienced. If that makes sense lol.

So you think +48 on a 8.5 rim will be best huh...Im going to look into some older wrx fitment wheels. Im thinking maybe work makes something in that size.

18's a tC=slower lol
Do you realy think the 18's make the tC slower? Because I can tell you that's bs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what the wink is for...

It all depends on the wheel. Of course, some 18's can weigh less than a 17" depending on what your comparing. If i Took a chrome Abla 17" and put it next to a forged HRE 18" the HRE is probably going to be lighter but if you put a forged HRE 17"(if they even make a 17) vs. a forged HRE 18" the 17 is going to be lighter (if they are the same width). More metal equals more weight.

Really the reason behind me wanting a 17" is because of the better gearing.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by coneklr@Aug 10 2005, 12:06 PM
Really the reason behind me wanting a 17" is because of the better gearing.
I'd love to know the correlation between rim diameter and gearing... Mind to explain?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but this is the way I understand it.

First of it really depends on the aspect ratio of the tire your using but if you take a 17" wheel and put a 40 series tire on it this will give you a certain overall diameter. Now if you put an 18" wheel on your car and a 40 series tire on that wheel the overall diameter including tire will be greater. Thus you have a longer rolling distance which makes your gears longer and your shift points higher (i think) than stock.

Again this all can be affected by tire aspect ratio.

Im not against 18's, especially on a tC where the wheel wells seem to swallow anything smaller than 18's. I just for my purposes want a 17" wheel. Again, Im one of you guys...a tC owner!

PS. I am ordering my tein s-techs this weekend. And hopefully Koni's next weekend. Then will be progress rear sway, yay for good handling! Ill post pics once they are on.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
So again, gearing has *nothing* to do with rim diameter.

Overal wheel diameter, on the other hand, is obviously included in the gearing/acceleration/top speed equation.

Just wanted to make sure you know the basics

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
And it won't change your shift points. Only a gearbox ratio change or engine performance change will alter your shift points.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That's nice to hear but the tC 17's is a 215/45 and the 18's come with a 225/40. The diameter is the same, and with the tC 18's you start with an 18x8 rim. That allows you to put larger 245/35/18's and still have the same diameter. At that size I can launch at a higher rpm without spinning the tires and really launch like you have never seen in a tC. That mod also allows me to score a .97g skid pad and take out about anything on a back road.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Stock/optional 18's on the tC (the EMX 7 or something like that) are 18x7.5, so 225 is about as wide as anyone should go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trust me I might be a noob on here but Im not a noob to cars. I dont know everything by far, but Im not ignorant
. I have been autox'ing lightly for about 3 years and am very much into corners vs. trees.

Thanks for the clarification on the overall diameter vs. wheel diameter, you would be correct.

This is the reason that when you put 33's (tires) on a lifted jeep you have to change out the gears. If you dont your speedo is all wack. I just had read somethign that said it makes the gears longer or the shift points higher...I didnt know if this was true or not.

This makes me think of something else...will the wheel width or diameter affect turn-in much? One thing I have noticed about my tC that is different from the focus is the turn in. The tC just doesnt have the turn in like my focus. Obviously a sway bar, and lightening the car will help this but will wheel or tire size?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.