Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first (accumulative) snow tonight in Chicago. And lemme tell ya....

It's going to be a looooong, anti-lock brake pulsing, tire spinning, front end sliding winter.

That's not to say I'm not going to enjoy it....

But damn. I'm not sure if it's the Yoko's, or what. I've never quite understood how a little alteration of compounds in a tire can make it a "snow" tire...

Is (was) it just me, or the anti-lock brakes extremely touchy in the snow? I mean, they're supposed to be i guess, but geeze.

And someone know why when you spin the tires in reverse (while trying to back into parking space uphill on packed snow) results in an exact replication of that sound that air wrenches make tightening up lugnuts? (Or for the fliers in the forum, the sound the hydrolic system makes on a passenger plane after shutdown).

It's not even winter yet (it's hitting 45 tomarrow, that's not winter), and I'm already looking forward to late spring.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
It's probably mostly the Yokos. They're better than the Potenzas but they're still a performance summer tire, not an All-season or snow tire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
it's snowed about 8" here in lansing in the past few days... as a driver of the stock potenzas... wow they suck. i'm used to crappy tires on my car in the winter, though, so it's not bad. you just have to launch in 2nd or by letting out the clutch in first... the ABS does kick in quickly, but it's better that way... i'd prefer immediate feedback as to when my car isn't doing what i'm telling it to (though you can tell anyway). i just look at the slick tires as a give/take. as much as it sucks when you don't have traction and need it, it's just as fun to not have it when you don't want it.

as an aside, the car is pretty well balanced. to get a better idea of the tc's tendencies i was slipping and sliding around tonight. it's actually ridiculously easy to handle, compared to my old civic hatch.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Ditto!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.