Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a friend that is dead set on saying the ECU manages the whole car including the transmission. My problem with understanding him, because he does know a lot about cars, is that how does the ECU change the actual gear ratios for a car. I find it physically impossible to understand this because gears are gears and can not be changed without replacing them. Am I correct or is he correct and can you please explain this to me if he is correct. Thanks for the help everyone!

Eric

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This post isn't just for Lo Bux, i'm sorry if I came across like that. Anyone that would like to straighten me out on how all this works is gladly to post a reply. I will be gone untill Monday the 26th though so I'm sorry that I wont be able to reply as quickly as I would want. Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Gear ratio? As in the actual size of the gears? Umm.. sure, but it's called CVT.

That uses a series of pulleys and belts rather than actual gears so the ECU would be able to change that. On a regular car though, gear ratios are physically there and can't be changed without physically swapping them. But it seems you already knew that.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The tC manual transmission has zero connectivity to the ECU unless the reverse switch goes through it which is highly unlikely.

The auto is controlled by the ECU.

BUT, it has nothing to do with ratios, they are a fixed number and can only be changed by swaping physical parts in either transmission.

Only a CVT type of transmission can change rations depending on the ECU since they are variable ration by design.

Many cars use a sensor in the transmission to tell the ECU the speed the car is going but not so in the tC, it uses the ABS sensor inputs.

Possibly you misunderstood your friends meaning of his statements, that or he is just plain mistaken;)

Rick

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent him my first post and asked him if I covered everything he was makin a claim on and he said no. Thank you so much for your help, I didn't think the ECU could change the physical gear ratios. Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
CVT's are cool. It's too bad they can't handle a lot of power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.