Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i wouldnt ordinarily do this but i wanted to know what sum of you guys thought. my boy owns 2 Crx's and one is his daily crapper Crx HF and the other is this "super rexxer" CRX SI. he bought it off another friend of ours and he told me that he thinks he could dust me and my stock tC. the only reason im talking about it and not outside right now shutting him down is cuz he has to put the rear end back on. he's a body work guy and he's restoring it since he does that for fun as well as payment. anyway its got I/H/E and i think he said sumthing about a performance clutch. and then he says and swears by it, that this crx si is just weirdly faster than normal. he's not one to lie about a little crx and he's not hating on my tc either but he says that he seriously doubts i could beat him. being a prior honda owner i DO know that every now and then a few stronger models come off the assembly line but im thinking that rex still cant beat our tCs. what yall think? OH one last thing. by the time this race happens i may have my new tires on. the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S's which should give a much better holeshot hook up. sorry for the long-ss story.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It depends if you know how to drive your tC...If youre a pretty good driver (I mean really well) then you'd be able to dust him like nothing, unless he has a swapped motor in his CRX...tC>CRX si w/I/H/E

·
Registered
539 Posts
CRX si with i/h/e and clutch can also run 16 flat et

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"if your a pretty good driver." ha. i always wondered about that. i think im a great driver!
but doesnt everyone? but aside from getting a good holeshot and not missing shifts and waiting till rev limiter to shift, is there such a thing as a bad driver?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it finally happend. it took more than long enuf but he put his tail end back on about 2 months ago cuz his black CRX crapped out on him. so the white CRX Si has been getting the presidential treatment. since i first posted this i have learned how to drive the tC much better and have a few mods
nuthin serious. ANYWAY

my boy was leaving work and i had dropped by to see him. as we're leaving two almost movie-esque lanes opened up on a this loooong street. so of course he pulls in the middle lane and points at me to pull into the fast lane. the light is red and i said to him "man u dont want to do this." and proceeded to laugh while he rolled his windows up. he revs and holds. i do the same. GREEN! we drop the hammer. i attempted to feather it a little out of first so as to minimize the immense wheelspin caused by by potenza's and the very hot pavement....and a mediocre launch. despite that tho i stop spinning well before he did and QUICKLY walked away through first gear and second. at third he was getting TOO far back and so i shut down. he says he missed 3rd but agrees that it wouldnt have mattered cuz he was thoroughly beaten to peices. i was pretty suprised he got beat that bad. i knew he was gonna launch it too high but i didnt expect him to not come back. lol CRX tend to walk up a little bit. at least all the others i've raced always have. only one has passed me which i wrote about in another thread at the track. the rest usually cant make up the ground they lose in the whole shot.

Sooooooo of course i have alot of bragging rights against him now. since he can no longer talk ish! mark another one up...

·
Registered
405 Posts
like said above, its only 108HP its almost like racing a gimp in the 100 YRD. dash, yea you will win, but hes crippled...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh well...i expected to win now that i know the ability of the tC. but when i first got it he had me shook with everything he was saying. then it doesnt help that every body else we were around had Evo's a 3000GT VR-4's, M3's and all these either hopped up rides or motor swaps. i agree it wasnt amazing now but im still happy i can now gloat to him and his brothers and our mutual friends who he told i would probably lose.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Without being boosted, swapped, or a JDM imported SiR, you're picking on the helpless, man. As said before, 108 at the crank-- 15 years ago. If he's putting 85 to the wheels today, it's some kind of miracle.

There's a guy somewhat local to me with an '86 CRX with a B18C5 in it, only makes about 200whp in a car that weighs about 1900lbs wet. Not to be trifled with.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The point of having a CRX or any Civic hatch is to have an AWESOME platform on which to build.

Add a different motor and you have a great daily driver.

Add a swap and boost and you have a drag strip king.

Add bolt-ons and suspension bits and you have an auto-x champ.

The less weight you have the better the connection between driver and road. On top of that, it makes up for a LOT concerning power, tires, suspension, etc... Meaning you need a lot less of each to equal the performance of "better" yet heavier cars. Add better tires, power, suspension, etc then those on/in the heavier cars and you have something that will absolutely stomp them.

Put it this way:

* 89 CRX (in awesome condition): $800.00
* gutting the interior (now ~1800lb chassis): free
* B18C1 engine (w/ transmission & low miles): ~$700.00
* Coil-overs, sway-bars, chassis tie-bars, etc: $800.00
* Intake, Header, Exhaust: $700.00
* Tires & Rims (lightweight 15" w/ GOOD tires) $600.00
* 99/00 Civic Si 4 wheel disc brakes/calipers: $200.00

Total: $3800.00

You now have a 100% smog legal car that will run high 13s, out-corner a modified M3, out-brake your average Porsche 911 and will get well over 30MPG in city driving.

This isn’t even counting the fact that I can find most of these items for MUCH cheaper on Honda boards or e-bay. I’m sure if I searched enough I could cut the cost of this project to $3000.00 or even less.

Of course if you want to spend a bit more... say 1200 bucks for a rebuilt B series motor w/ forged internals, and another 1000 for a turbo system you would have a car that’s putting down oh.... say a reliable 300 FWHP (at moderate boost and on pump gas), which weighs in at well under 2000lbs. That’s Super-car stomping power to weight ratios... all for ~ 5 grand... including the car it self.

Then again, you could take 10K and build a beast in every respect.

Big brakes, 4 piston calipers, crazy 24 way coil-overs, 400FWHP boosted 2.0l hybrid engine, Bride racing seats, custom stereo, custom interior upholstery, modern looking body kit, high quality paint, expensive light weight large diameter rims, and on and on and on... All for thousands less then a used Scion.

..of course if you have a stock CRX with an intake and you think its hot shyte, you have problems beyond compare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.