Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking around on the internet for parts for the tc and i came across NST's lightweight crank pulley. the price is right at about $100, and the install isn't too difficult, so my question is this: has anyone had any bad experiences with lightened pulleys? i've heard things on other forums about how you can spin a bearing due to the lighter mass, but i'm skeptical due to the huge amount of lightweight flywheel discussion on this forum. and in case you're wondering, i've searched on this forum and came up with nothing but smaller pulleys for superchargers. thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by doock87@Jul 31 2005, 07:10 PM
they claim that the pulley is precision made, here's a link. tell me what you think
They have a pulley for the supercharger coming out as well!!!

-Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as the pulley's are balanced you shouldn't have a problem...they say these are. My son has had smaller pulleys on his Integra for 20k+ miles with no ill effects.

The gains seem optimistic. Most of the gains come from underdriving your accessories, mostly the alternator. The faster the alternator turns the more HP it eats up. This means the gains are only at the upper rpm levels. The downside of this is your alt turns slower at idle (your water pump also if it's crank driven). Mega-watt stereos and/or lots of electronic add ons can tax a stock charging system...you may want to reconsider the pulley if you like that sort of thing. The water pump issue should be fine...but on hot summer days with prolong idling (like stuck in traffic) my son's car sees higher coolant temps than before the pulley swap...his car isn't stock though.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by raamaudio@Aug 1 2005, 12:52 AM
Yaj,
Great advice, right on the money:)

Rick
Woohoo, more smart people!

Edit: I say that knowing I am not one of those since I was talking about vehicle internals.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I'd bet the 2AZ has a dampener pulley, not a solid one. 2JZs have had many issues with Unorthodox (and others) pulleys because there is no torsional damping with a solid pulley. Torsional vibration with four cylinders is not as bad as an inline 6 like the 2JZ, and there are a number of smaller Hondas that come from the factory with solid pulleys, but with a 96mm stroke, I'd be a tad concerned about bearing life and other issues (like the crank position wheel rotating relative to the crank - that's the #1 problem with the 2JZ, as well as mysteriously loosened flexplate bolts). Steve Dinan even published a letter commenting about how bad these solid pulley solutions are when they replace a harmonic damper.

I just popped the hood on the tC and it appears to have a typical Toyco harmonic damper - solid center section, rubber middle, and solid outer ring. At least it doesn't have the longitudinal flex element the 2JZ does. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures of the 2JZ damper (I happen to have one on the shelf for the Dawg, just in case).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm having trouble with the pulley link, I'm guessing their site is down. Interesting responses from everyone indeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.