Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new 06' tC owner, I just picked it up last week. Love everything about it, the way it looks, drives, shifts etc. But Sunday coming home in the dark I lost all my interior and exterior lighting. Has anyone experienced this? I took it to the dealership and they told me I needed a whole new wiring system.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
That's odd.... never heard of that happening before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding - I am picking my car up today from the dealership! Guess it's just my luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My interior lights and sunroof did not work when I picked my new tC up. I had foglights installed and the iPod upgrade done at the dealership. The technician reconnected some wires behind the fog light switch and the problem was solved. Toyota's independent contractor does the fogs and the dealership's technician installed the iPod radio.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting - I do have fog light and under dash LEDs- wonder if thats it. I have the iPod upgrade to if it may have anything to do with it. My dad works for Toyota so they got it fixed quick for me, but that does pose the thought that it could have been one of those added on features. Thanks again everyone for your responses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I do have the security system/alarm which brings up another question - does anyone notice the damn thing never alarms, even when i kick the tire and rock the car. I think that may be broke too.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
First of all, rocking the car should never set off any half-decent car alarm. Kicking the tires might, but the fact is that the factory security system sucks -- that's not specific to the tC, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my only hopes are it will go off when it really needs to. I use to own a Jeep and if I stood on my side step bars it would set my alarm off so I figured rocking it would maybe set it off. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
847 Posts
the Scion Securtiy will only be set off if:

the doors are opened w/o the RFID key or keyless entry (if the system is armed and the doors are opened by a passenger inside the car, it will go off)

or

the glass is shattered.

there is no shock sensor with the Scion Security system, just a glass-breakage sensor and engine disabler

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 25 2005, 07:30 AM
First of all, rocking the car should never set off any half-decent car alarm. Kicking the tires might, but the fact is that the factory security system sucks -- that's not specific to the tC, though.
Wait, the factory security system sucks but the RE92s don't? Wow. Worst case, your car gets stolen if the factory security system sucks. Worst case, you die, if the RE92s fail to provide adequate grip for conditions. Interesting priorities Marty.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Nov 26 2005, 10:43 AM
Wait, the factory security system sucks but the RE92s don't? Wow. Worst case, your car gets stolen if the factory security system sucks. Worst case, you die, if the RE92s fail to provide adequate grip for conditions. Interesting priorities Marty.
The factory security system costs several hundred dollars, as would replacing the stock tires. In other words, with the factory security system, you're paying for mediocrity, while with the stock tires you already have it for no additional expense.

And I'm still wondering what kinds of icy mountains you all have been driving on that you have so much of a problem with the stock tires. I'm at almost 20,000 miles now and have never slid off the road. The worst that has happened was spinning the tires from a dead stop. I'm not the world's most passive driver, either. (In fact, the other day, my fiancee called me "reckless.") They make me nervous in the rain, so I drive more carefully (which is what everyone should do in the rain anyway).

So where's the problem with my priorities?

On topic: my interior lights and my auto-dimming mirror went out last night. I probably blew a fuse.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No problem with the priorities. Just risk management vs. cost management. Security is my business, so I look at risk in relation to cost. I don't usually bother with any alarm system because IMHO, they're all worthless. Not one of them will stop a professional thief. The only reason I got Scion security is because I get a discount on my comprehensive coverage that pays for the alarm over about 5 years. I usually keep my cars 10 years, so it makes economic sense.

I don't drive on icy mountain roads (although I have in the past), but any tire that forces me to reduce speeds to 60% of dry is, IMHO, crap, and a far greater risk of personal injury and death than choosing Scion Security.

The best tires I ever owned were Bridgestone S-02s - I could go 98% of dry speed in full rain around any turn I wanted. They even worked in snow and ice. I wish they hadn't been discontinued. FWIW, I was driving yesterday on my Toyo T1S's at 90 mph in moderate rain with no handling, braking, or turning issues what-so-ever. As it should be.

On topic - I've had no electrical issues with my tC at all. So far it seems most of the electrical issues are related to port/dealer installed options, not the basic harness. I think it's awesome they were able to fix a complete wiring harness in 24 hours, but that could also be scary. Is Scion stocking wiring harnesses? That only means one thing: sufficient demand to make stocking economical. Not what I'd like to hear...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
What is this "60% of dry" stuff? I go pretty much whatever speed I want and don't slide on dry pavement. I always said that these tires suck sweaty nutsacks in the wet, but I don't have to deal with that often enough to throw away new tires. Now that they are getting low on tread, though, I will definitely replace them. Hopefully with those nice Avon m500s.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I can't corner in the wet at more than 60% of the speed I can corner in the dry. That's what I mean, and I found this out on a freeway on-ramp that I normally take at 45 in the dry. The car was sliding hard at 30 mph.

I wouldn't throw any tire away, I'd just sell it to someone less discriminating and more tolerant of poor behavior.

You'll be amazed at how much better the car is with better tires.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Oh, I wouldn't doubt that. But you'ver got to understand, you're used to driving a Supra or similar, whereas my last two (and only two) cars were both Corollas. I was really excited when I found out that the '99 I would be getting had 14" wheels -- my first Corolla had 13s. So, my point is, it's all about what you're used to. The tC would handle better with four flats than my last Corolla did with top-of-the-line Michelins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.