Scion tC Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Sure. Pushing the shifter against first gear with the clutch out toasts the synchro in short order. AMHIK. Not a good plan at all.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
really? well just let him learn the catch point. it's not liek i sit there and do it all the time. But why. and how do youknow? (I know you know but I wanna know how u found out ) :]

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Fundamentals: a synchro is a brake. It stops relative motion between the gear and the shaft the gear sits on. If you push against the synchro but do not shift into gear, you are applying the brake without taking your foot off the gas. It is identical to mashing the gas and the brake at the same time, except the surface area on a synchro is tiny, so it gets very hot very quickly and soon turns into scrap metal. It's OK to test a synchro this way very briefly, but not OK to do this as a matter of course, especially when starting out on a hill.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
In a sense, except when you shift without the clutch the gear and the shaft are pretty well synchronized anyway, otherwise the synchro hub would grind against the dogs on the gear and make a loud grinding noise that would immediately make you push in the clutch. If you do it right, it isn't a disaster, but it does wear the synchros faster than using the clutch properly.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
so that's what exactly happens when I hear the grinding noise...

I'm sort of on the shorter side here (5'2) and I occasionally grind the gears when I'm not wearing heels, and not press down the clutch all the way.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
The grinding noise is the teeth on the dogs getting gnashed by the splines on the synchro hub outer ring. Click here for pics of synchro hub outer ring, synchro, and dogs on the gear. The pointed things from the top are hitting the pointed things in the middle causing the noise you hear.

Reactions: dirtysnowball193

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
it's not a nice noise :/

i guess i'm stuck with sitting fairly close to the steering wheel or having to wear heels xD

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Originally posted by doNna@Jan 16 2006, 01:44 PM
so that's what exactly happens when I hear the grinding noise...

I'm sort of on the shorter side here (5'2) and I occasionally grind the gears when I'm not wearing heels, and not press down the clutch all the way.
Your a little person
. Hooow cuute. I dont grind gears, but i did learning how.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
hahaha i'm not a little person :/

I think that's one of the "names" given to people who are literally, "little"

but yeah, i can't really imagine someone big riding the tC.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Little person - the term I use for people under 5 years old.

If you break 5', you're not short, you're in the normal range.

OK, so I'm 6' 2", but I've dated a fair number of women at 5' 2"...nothing wrong with that IMHO.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
A foot in difference isn't big

especially when the girl is wearing 3-4inch heels xD

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
That would entirely depend on where the foot is located.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by doNna@Jan 17 2006, 11:41 PM
As long as I stay out of the back seat, I'm comfy.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 17 2006, 09:13 PM
Little person - the term I use for people under 5 years old.

If you break 5', you're not short, you're in the normal range.

OK, so I'm 6' 2", but I've dated a fair number of women at 5' 2"...nothing wrong with that IMHO.
i know, i was just kidding. im not very tall myself lol

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4+Jan 18 2006, 06:41 AM-->QUOTE (basilisk4 @ Jan 18 2006, 06:41 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-doNna
@Jan 17 2006, 11:41 PM
As long as I stay out of the back seat, I'm comfy.
[/b]
I actually like the back seats. Maybe it's cuz my head doesn't touch the top of the hatch when I sit, but, haha.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
^^^the Back seats are comfy as long as the person sitting infront of you has the seat up enough for leg room. (my head has enough room too
)

·
Premium Member
2005 scion tc
2 Posts
The grinding noise is the teeth on the dogs getting gnashed by the splines on the synchro hub outer ring. Click here for pics of synchro hub outer ring, synchro, and dogs on the gear. The pointed things from the top are hitting the pointed things in the middle causing the noise you hear.
can you repost those pics? having problems with my '05 popping out of 5th gear and need to know which synchro ring to buy (positive it's the synchro ring) but when I clicked on your Flicker link it was gone...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts