Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going 3way upfront soon, with midbasses in my doors IB, midranges in my kickpanels and tweets up in my A-pillars. My question is on the auto, there is a few things situated in the kickpanel areas on the metal behind the plastic panel, its a white plastic thing with some fuses and wires and such, what is this thing....and where could it be moved out of the way so that a fiberglass kickpanel can be made in that area?

Also is there any extra room behind that plastic piece that i could possibly nessle a 4.5" midrange into there with adaquate space with a little metal cutting....And have fairly good width and height for the driver to breathe when angled at the ceiling around the area between the two roof openings, and not sacrifice any foot well room.

I'm not exactly sure how much space i will need for this project to work well enough, but i'm thinking at least a good .1cf or so to get the driver to play adaquately to 200hz, and up to 4-5k.

This is a SQ oreinted vehicle, which is my reasoning for going 3way upfront....Plus a sub in the rear.

I already have enough amplification, 8ch's to be exact, 2 bridged on my sub.

Can anyone help figure out how i can make more room and where to move these things in the kicks to make room?

Should be a fun project

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Sounds like a great route to try and follow. I would think you could extend all of the wires and mount them both up inside the dash, there is plenty of room. I might try to get my hands on a wiring diagram of the car, just so i knew what i was cutting into. There is plenty of room under the dash though. As far as cutting the metal I would not suggest that, there is not much behind it, you will ruin pillar stability, and you would be exposing too much of your speaker to the elements.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Eddie, I'm really trying to get my vehicle to competitive sound levels. Strickly SQ. My imaging lacks right now but putting some dedicated midranges in the kickpanels should help alot with midrange frequencies and keeping the infamous Rainbow effect across the dash from happening.

I wasn't sure if the tC actually had any usable space behind the kickpanels like some cars have, using non-structural metal over a enclosed area that could be used to situate some midranges effectively.

They say to get the best width of staging, and depth to your soundstage, to try to mount them almost as wide as the pillars, and aimed directly near where the dome light would be (driver and passenger would be each a good 20degrees offaxis to the center of the speaker), if ours had one between the moonroof and panaramic roofs. Depending on what driver i choose will depend on how much room i need in these kick panels, but i'm hoping that i can in fact move the harness behind the kick panels and get them up into the dash somehow, giving me added room for designing something to be very stealthy, but effective, and tucked as far away from the feet as possible.

I really don't think exposing speakers to the elements is too much to worry about, that is putting them down in the kickpanels, as they will be more likely to be affected in the doors as far as weather goes, with any dripping.

I'm currently waiting on some test results on the driver that i plan on running down in my kicks, the Tangband 4.5" Bamboo cone driver....Or something similar in size.....but right now i'm not exactly sure if i will be using it or not, as if it dosent test well enough, i'll need to find an alternate driver. And have it play from 150-200hz up to 4k. Midbass will carry from 150/200hz on down to a good 50-70hz, may be upgrading to 8" midbass, if i can figure out how to fit one. Tweeters from 4/5k on up.

This is to be a fun project with alot of time invested in getting a perfect sound.

· Registered
233 Posts
The console can usually nullify the soundstage advantages that kick panel locations can offer. If you want to put speakers there just for sapce, than this is not a big deal. The best thing to do is place speakers into small enclosures and test them. You can easily move them around and listen to them. This will give you an exact location/facing that offers the best performance. You can then build your kick panels to mimic what you know works best. If if kicks for the sake of kicks then you can skip this step and go right to the build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.