Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit the standard 17" wheels are SWEET! However, I've seen on Bemers and Mercedes brake dust being a problem and eventually rusting the rotors. How do you prevent that from happening on our TCs?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Where do you go to get the cadmium plated, and any idea on the cost?

·
Registered
425 Posts
i don't remember how much, but it cost me less than 100 bucks--i think it was about $60-- for both rotors (each rotor is about 13" x 1.25")
anyway, i brought it to a place called "Manco Plating, Inc." in Newark, NJ.

once you cad plate them, they will not rust where the plating still resides. but after the initial coating, your braking will be a little weird because the pads make contact with the coating. once the coating near the brake pad portion is removed, it brakes like normal again

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok a really easy way to kep brakes from rusting is use them. also with the nice wide open style of rims that come with the tC you could just wipe them down while your cleaning the rims. the problem with a car that is heavy like th tC is after hard braking, like if you do it ALOT, is warping, but that could just give you an excuse to buy a nice set of slotted discs, and those are off the heazy

·
Registered
425 Posts
depends on how bad the rust is, water may not help.
i would recommend something like a brillo pad to wipe it off with; somethnig that is a little abbrassive, but not too abbrassive.

rusting occurs due to oxidation; since water = H2O, it can cause oxidation too, but also realize that the oxidation process takes time, so it's not like spraying water on metal will cause it to rust instantly hehe

·
Registered
619 Posts
i just recommend not worrying about it. they will still stop you and it wont be that noticable. many other things to wrry about than that. And if you dont drive you car enough that the rotors rust to a point that they will sacrifice peformance, well you dont desirve to have a car. YOu are doing it an injustice by just litting it sit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts