Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I bought that intake. I LOVE it. It sits right behind the front bumper. It sounds awesome. Gives the car a meaner sound. You can actually hear the suction when you get into higher RPMs. The install overall wasn't too bad, it took about an hour or two. It involves removing the front drivers's side tire and the shroud inside the wheel well.

You know how the the lower part of the bumper has the middle grille and the two smaller grilles on the outsides that are solid plastic. The intake sits behind the small plastic part on the driver's side.

I'm actually thinking about popping that out and putting a grille that will allow air flow.

Overall... I'm very happy with it.

· Registered
78 Posts
isnt that what your supposed to do. TO pop out that little plastic thing and let more cold air flow into the filter. My friend has an aem v2 CAI for his 2004 accord v6 and it scream and its located exactly where you are talking about and his has the removed piece of plastic.

· Registered
408 Posts
What web site did you order it from? i found one that has it. Any NOTICEABLE gain with power or mostly just sound? Thanks!

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
You'll need a timed test to measure any gain. It will not be a SOTP gain.

· Registered
424 Posts
So is there a difinitive answer on which intake to get? Weapon-R says they're good, K&N and AEM have good repuations, and yet there doesn't seem to be a good answer on what to get.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
K&N always had great build quality and excellent filters. If I was getting an intake, I'd be with them. Weapon-R used a dyno error to market their stuff and treated people on other forums like imbeciles - not a good thing when you are trying to establish a reputation for the company. I wound not touch their stuff with a 6-foot pole. Overpriced half-ass made stuff.

· Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Originally posted by TEXAS EX@Jan 10 2005, 12:15 AM
I ordered mine from http://www.crutchfield.com they are on back order, I don't know for how long
Since when did crutchfield start carrying intakes?

· Registered
372 Posts
Why not just fog it?

The advantage is that you go from a roughly 2.5" OD intake to a ~3.75" OD intake in less than 5" from the filter box. You use your regular filter (recommend K&N, TRD, or Green filter) and filter box. Costs about $15 to $25 with most parts from Home Depot or Lowes. What I like about it is that the power band feels smoother up and down. I really like the way the engine spools up. Most likely the same effect you would get from the Typhoon. Note, I am claiming no HP gains, but the car is more responsive and the engine sounds less strained when mashing the pedal hard. I am truly loving it.

The disadvantage is that it can never look as good as the Typhoon. Another disadvantage is that you have to make it by hand. Third disadvantage is that you have to cut the existing intake.

It worked nicely on my Z3 and I like the feel of it on the tC.

Cheers!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know when crutchfield started carrying them...I just stumbled across it by accident looking for an installation kit...the intake is still on backorder from K&N with no ETA......great....well at least it's crappy weather here, if it was nice I think I'd be a little more pissed.

· Registered
408 Posts
Hey i was searching for info on the K&N and found it on this site for the cheapest ive seen! Hop up Racing Just about to order!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.