Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was wonderig if anyone has checked out Jotech's site. They did a dyno of their tC at high-boost, and it came out at a max of 533 hp. Just a thought, how much would it cost to build my stock tC's engine just like theres? any insights?

heres the link....click.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Too much. And it won't be streetable either. The car is a dyno queen, not a daily driver. Besides, do you really want to run C-16 all the time? It's pretty expensive, and very hard to get at any place other than a race gas vendor, and it's illegal to use in any street driven vehicle because it contains lead.

Need any more resons why it's not practical? There are more...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree completely with Lance, this is reality check time buddy, just not feasable or worth all the headaches. Let the dyno and trailer queens do their thing, build something smart and usable, you will have far more fun:)

Rick

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so is it possible to put a racing engine in our cars(possibly with a new transmission) and still make it a daily driver? im just wondering because since i have some money to spend on my car now, and i was to make it something useful, instead of more asthetic junk.

and how much would that be?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
More than the car costs. Easily. And that isn't a race engine, it was a fully built 2AZ-FE with a LLLOOOTTT of work done to it. I'd say you would be looking at (easily) $30k.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, ok, tahts not in my spending, i was hopind like 15k or something, im not spending 30k. if you want, a moderator can lock this. theres no need for more discussion on this thread.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
The parts would take a decent chunk of change... the biggest lump will be going to labor. Unless you have some VERY good friends that know what they are doing or you know what you are doing. Then it won't be so expensive... but for your everyday joe, it'll be quite an amount (especially considering the standard price gouging that most shops do). Unless lance knows somebody in the area that can help you out...

Not to mention that 400+hp on a daily driver is... quite unwieldly.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
In a FWD with a gearbox good to about 300 ft-lbs of torque. Not a great idea. While I can't say I've seen the guts of the gearbox, it's too small from the outside to expect it to last long with a lot of torque pushed through it. Since we don't have a lot of rpm, you can work backwards from hp to figure out the torque you need to make 500hp. It's a lot.

I know what 400 hp in a daily driver is. A lot of young guns wadded their Supras because they thought they could handle it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Again I agree completely, 400 HP does not sound like much compared to all the magazine, trailer and dyno queen, shop bragging rights, etc, cars out there but it is a damm fast car in a Supra. In a tC is is just an accident waiting to happen, and going to be fairly unreliable and hard to maintain at that.

My Matrix had all the proper supporting mods from seats to LSD to wide race tires and 250 WHP was a dang quick car at 2,600 lbs(what I had it down to) 300WHP is what our goal is for the tC and it will be plenty fast enough for us.

I was at a shop a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about their shop Supra with 1,200WHP and said they drive it on the street, sure, I imagine all the time, NOT!

Power is great when it can be used which requires a whole car concept. Our tC will be setup properly first, most done now, the rest of the parts are here waiting for us to have some time to intall them, before we turbo the car.

Brakes, suspension, clucth, LSD, wheels and tires, seats, weight control, etc, etc, etc. Then we will go for the power we want to run, with all the mods now and with stock power it would supprise you how much more capable it is up in the mountains than a totally stock car, we would run circles around one.

Set your priorities straight, build a whole car and go for real world usable and reliable power, you will have far more fun, be far safer, be able to actually drive it more and spend less!

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.