Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been discussion of some similarities between the tC and the G6 but didn't really care (it IS a ponticrap) until I saw the brake light cluster/rearend on the G6 which 'graces' the Pontiac homepage. WOW....a GM with a little round honda/toyota reverse light??? That's more than middle america can handle!
Then there's the 'lip spoiler'. We went from the Grand Am 'Klingon' 4 foot wing to that??? Again...is Branson ready?

· Registered
664 Posts
i really say pontiac copied toyota there.. if you look at the convertible g6 you'll see the solara convertible!! and the lexus (that looks like the solara) i'm saying that GM copied toyota.. i wouldn't doubt if they had spies checking out the scion tC.. but hey it's not a toyota no matter if the taillights looks like..

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
man, i thought this thread was going to be about wolo. what a relief.

if they are sharing, they should have shared the rear moonroof opening thing with us, dammit.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It would add another 50 lbs to an admittedly heavy car, but it would be coolio.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Dec 23 2004, 04:04 PM
man, i thought this thread was going to be about wolo. what a relief.

if they are sharing, they should have shared the rear moonroof opening thing with us, dammit.

As for the moonroof thingy, though, the way thefirsteverG6's one looks, I would be really surprised if it didn't have tons of mechanical problems...the whole stacking thing...

· Registered
606 Posts
does anyone know the story of the "deal" or whatever it was between toyota and pontiac for the matrix and the vibe? was it like with inventions or math formulas in the sense that both toyota and pontiac designed the same exact car at the same exact time so they decided to share the credit? it sounds unlikely that that would happen so i ask if anyone knows the story.

· Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Dec 23 2004, 10:08 PM
does anyone know the story of the "deal" or whatever it was between toyota and pontiac for the matrix and the vibe? was it like with inventions or math formulas in the sense that both toyota and pontiac designed the same exact car at the same exact time so they decided to share the credit? it sounds unlikely that that would happen so i ask if anyone knows the story.
since this will probably be my last post before the Christmas vacation.. Merry Christmas to all..

okay now back to this story about the vibe/matrix.. toyota and GM have a joint venture plant in california, called NUMMI.. they've been building joint cars since the 80's.. anyone remember the Chevy Nova that became the Geo Prizm? It was a Corolla.. GM wanted in on the matrix so they struck a deal.. If anything GM used Toyota's parts instead of the other way around.. Toyota isn't nuts! lol

so there wasn't much in the way of sharing things.. pontiac (like pontiac always does) slapped on some plastic pieces and bam! there's the vibe.. hope that helps..

· Registered
1,554 Posts
How do provide a watertight seal with that moonroof. I bet it'll leak like nobody's business very soon after purchase.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay...so, saw a couple of G6's on the highway this weekend and, although the pic on the Pontiac website may have had hints of a tc, in real life, DEFINITELY not as similar. The backend of the G6 actually looks more like a Neon or other Dodge creation.

Sooooo...consider that myth busted....WHEW!

· Registered
255 Posts
Wow, I am really happy that someone decided to bring this up! It totally crossed my mind after seeing the G6 out on the road. From the posts, I guess nobody really knows the exact details of whether or not a deal was made between Pontiac and Toyota (I can only pray that there wasn't because I would hate for anybody to look at my car and say "hey, there's the Japanese version"). But I guess we can all take solace in the fact that the rearend still looks somewhat different when you take into account where the plates are attached to the vehicle. Plus, the G6 will always be a Pontiac!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.