Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I would almost guarantee it will make the engine run too rich. Worse than garbage IMHO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is something I saw starting to get popular a few years ago. It's just a resistor that you splice and that tricks the intake sensor into thinking it's getting more/colder air than it actually is... therefore dumping in more fuel. Where in reality you're not getting the extra air, just the extra fuel... It's bound to break something at some point... and $20 for a 20 cent resistor at Radio Shack isn't worth that much trouble.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It says in the middle of that auction in capitalized letters, "DO NOT BE FOOLED." They are obviously referring to their product.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
lol. i was a fool and wanted to see exactly what it looked like so i bought one. said it would fit on the car (i30), yep, you guessed it, doesnt fit. the instructions that came with were too blurry and hand-drawn.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by tCXGreek@Feb 21 2005, 02:45 PM
This is something I saw starting to get popular a few years ago.  It's just a resistor that you splice and that tricks the intake sensor into thinking it's getting more/colder air than it actually is... therefore dumping in more fuel.  Where in reality you're not getting the extra air, just the extra fuel... It's bound to break something at some point... and $20 for a 20 cent resistor at Radio Shack isn't worth that much trouble.
The unfortunate thing is Toyota's TCCS uses the O2 sensor to create an offset value. So when you put this resistor in the circuit, the engine runs rich for a very short time, then the O2 sensor tells the ECM to trim the fuel. That trim (either short term or long term depending on the amount of correction) gets applied to both closed loop (when the ECM actually looks at the O2 sensor data) and open loop (when the ECM ignores the O2 sensor and uses stored values from a map in memory), so you actually end up running lean during open loop operation. Of course you could apply an opposite strategy, make the engine think the air is hotter and apply a rich correction factor, but in the end, the engine will not be running optimally. Open loop is most important because the engine operates in open loop at wide open throttle (WOT) when the danger of detonation and instant engine death is highest.

All OEM ECMs have correction capability for the air/fuel mixture and for ignition timing. Fooling with the algorithms the factory sets up can have bad consequences, from a minor Check Engine Light (CEL) that is annoying but not a big problem, to serious rich or lean conditions that could damage the engine's basic health.

Many of the aftermarket devices do actually intercept the sensor data and modify it to make the ECM do something different than the original designer intended, like HKS's VPC and GCC, or Apexi's S-AFC and ITC, GReddy's eManage, or any of a number of other devices from various manufacturers. All of them warn you that you can ruin your engine if you don't know what you are doing. Popping in a resistor to arbitrarily change the intake air temperature reading is about the most foolhardy mod I have seen in awhile.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Feb 21 2005, 08:56 PM
send me your 2.25 and I can send you some garbage from my office.

but, then again, maybe it does what it says it will do.....

better yet, don't buy that crap.
Does that $2.25 include shipping???!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Lots of people/racers use this secret at the track!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Secret?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.