Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering if there is a possibility that they will start making parts such as cams, high compression pistons, valves, retainers and such for the tc. I'm not the biggest fan of turboing cars that don't come with them out of the factory...just havent seen many good outcomes since i've been working at a shop.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I can't see the point in raising the compression a point and a half or so. It won't net much power gain, and it will require premium fuel unless you plan to re-engineer the combustion chamber. Cams, valves, etc, will only move the torque higher in the rpm range, and this engine is undersquare to start, so there's not a lot to be gained by spinning it faster.

The biggest determining factor for producing hard parts is market size. If the market is big enough, parts will be made. If it is not, there won't be anything but custom parts available, and those are stupid expensive for daily driving. The only way custom parts make sense is if you are competing in some kind of series and you really NEED to win.

FI is really the best thing to do to it unless you don't mind carrying a bottle of N2O with you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your post lo bux racer, i do agree that FI is a cheap and easy way to get power, but i do not agree that it is the best thing, since i plan on going to many open track days and have gone to them in the past, i know the cons of running force fed engines and constantly redlining them. Heck, even my friends stock evolution was overheating after a couple or runs. Either way i do see your poing, i just wanted to see if there was a possibility of going NA, if there isn't than so be it....but that would only limit the paths that TC drivers can take in terms of mods.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Anything stock tends to overheat on a track day. Stock cars aren't built for that kind of duty cycle.

The most you could reasonably hope for from the 2AZ in an NA configuration without spending stupid money is about 200 hp, but again, you'd be required to run at least 91 octane.

If you are really thinking track car, why would you buy a tC? There are LOTS of options at reasonable price points for track cars. One important thing about track cars, they should never be your daily driver. If you track your daily driver, you are likely to have a point in time without a car that will last awhile. Not every track day ends with all participants driving home in their cars and if you can't afford to wad the car up because you need it to get to work you are assuming a very high risk.

You'd be way ahead to buy someone's used racecar and track it. Or go in with some friends and buy a track day car that you all can share. Wadding up your daily driver really sucks, and as much as you might think I'm being an alarmist, I guarantee you, I speak from experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be happy with 200 whp out of the 2AZ, besides if the tc wasn't my last option i would not be wasting my time in this forum trying to learn as much about the car as possible, to be honest tracking is risky but not as risky as you think, to be honest spending money to have a car run straightlines is IMO a waste of money. Track days where i go aren't wheel to wheel, there are many safety precautions and large areas for runoff, its racing at its purest. To many TC owners who like drag maybe NA may not concern you, but i'm sure there are a few road racer's who'd like to go NA. Just my oppinion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.