Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay im thinking about buying a used 2006 or 2007 tc for my first car and i wanted to get a stick, but i have heard an unbelievable amount of problems with the manual tranny on the scion tc. Do these problems only occur on certain years or is the manual transmission just not very good on a tc? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Resident Swagologist
4,929 Posts
idk who you're hearing that from, but I've never heard anything bad about the manual transmission. I have 70,000 miles on my manual and not a problem.

the automatic tranny will start to give out if you turbo it and get much above 250 whp, but not the manual.

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
x3 I've driven my manual 06 for 30,xxx mi and i haven't had any problems with my transmission and i'm still on my original clutch. (62k total miles)

And i've also never heard of any transmission issues. Find a new source for information ;)

·
*Insert Something Cool*
2,101 Posts
80k on my manny and no problems. Its not a Honda!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Don't know where you got that information. Had my tC for two years with zero manual issues.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm at 35k and the clutch feels just as good as the day I got it.

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
tranny problemds are not comon on the tc. i have never heard of anythign bad. some people are running 400+whp on stock tranny

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with these guys. Had my tC for 3 years and the only problem I had is the clutch squeak (which every 5-speed tC seems to have) but that goes away with some grease to the slave cylinder rod. Other than that 30 second fix, I haven't had a single problem with the transmission or car otherwise, still on the stock clutch at 65,xxx miles!

·
Registered
681 Posts
QUOTE (Indelibility @ Sep 17 2010, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=576314
I'm with these guys. Had my tC for 3 years and the only problem I had is the clutch squeak (which every 5-speed tC seems to have) but that goes away with some grease to the slave cylinder rod. Other than that 30 second fix, I haven't had a single problem with the transmission or car otherwise, still on the stock clutch at 65,xxx miles![/b]
So that's how you get rid of the squeak. :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (WavyTC08 @ Sep 17 2010, 07:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=576367
So that's how you get rid of the squeak. :lol:[/b]
It's very simple. That damn squeak has been driving me insane for months. Finally had my brother press down on the clutch pedal a few times until I could pinpoint the source of the sound. Greased the hell out of it with white litium grease and voilà...pedal feels smooth and squeak free :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guess I can't edit my previous post.

QUOTE (WavyTC08 @ Sep 17 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=576367
So that's how you get rid of the squeak. :lol:[/b]
What you want to do is pull back the rubber cover attached to the slave cylinder, not the fork. Have someone push the clutch in and grease around the diameter of the uncovered metal rod. Have them release the clutch pedal and grease the rod again. Pump the clutch about 10 times until the grease spreads evenly withing the cylinder rod. Repeat greasing as necessary to get rid of the squeak. I did mine twice. Fold the rubber cover back over the master cylinder. Enjoy you quiet clutch!

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,066 Posts
They dont all do it. My 05 doesnt at 85,000ish miles.

And I would hope you are on the stock clutch at 65,000 miles. If not, you are doing something horribly wrong :p Should be able to get 100,000 or more out of a clutch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (engifineer @ Sep 17 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=576394
They dont all do it. My 05 doesnt at 85,000ish miles.

And I would hope you are on the stock clutch at 65,000 miles. If not, you are doing something horribly wrong :p Should be able to get 100,000 or more out of a clutch.[/b]
No clutch squeak? You lucky bastage :lol:

A quick search in the forums shows that "some" drivers blow their clutch prematurely...just reassuring the OP that these do last a long time :thumbsup:

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,066 Posts
For sure. People somehow manage to destroy clutches on cars in record time. I have known people who actually thought that a clutch every 50,000 miles was normal in a street car!

Now, if you drive an Evo, then that is probably true... but I am speaking for cars that actually have components designed to work together.. which apparently is beyond Mitsu :rofl:

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
I abuse mine with horse power and TQ and its fine. (disclaimer) I know how to shift and drive very very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm with these guys. Had my tC for 3 years and the only problem I had is the clutch squeak (which every 5-speed tC seems to have) but that goes away with some grease to the slave cylinder rod. Other than that 30 second fix, I haven't had a single problem with the transmission or car otherwise, still on the stock clutch at 65,xxx miles!
I'm running stock clutch at 145,xxx miles and it running fine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts